Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$15k and 15 miles...Doesnt make one a biker

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
BBSHK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this obsession with many on this and other forums with "REAL BIKER"? I don't get it, what are you trying to prove to yourselves? Oh, he wears a suit to work during the week and Harley branded leather on the weekends, what a poser....

WHO EFFING CARES?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here ya go: A computer and an internet server does not make one an authority on anything.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy a motorcycle, ride it and make monthly payments. You're a biker.
If you paid cash for a motorcycle and ride it. You're a biker.
If you stole someone else motorcycle and ride it, you're a biker.

If you get a woman pregnant and she have a baby, you are a father, some good and some not so good, but still a father. Same apply to bikers.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who would want to be a "biker" if it means doing it by someone else's definition and/or submitting to their approval.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM
brak4222
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anyone that judges whether someone is a biker or not is a complete douchebag.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably be called a RUB by a lot of self proclaimed "real bikers"....all I know is when I'm riding my 'King across New England in the rain or cold, I see a lot of trucks and cars parked in front of the "biker bar". Meh....I'm riding, they aint.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been around for a while, riding the same ol shovel for 39 years. All the while I've seen and met good, glad-to-meet-ya people on scoots and loudmouth, know-it-all-punks on scoots. The prices to get in may have changed but the song remains the same. Ride on.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turnerbend
If you buy a motorcycle, ride it and make monthly payments. You're a biker.
If you paid cash for a motorcycle and ride it. You're a biker.
If you stole someone else motorcycle and ride it, you're a biker.

If you get a woman pregnant and she have a baby, you are a father, some good and some not so good, but still a father. Same apply to bikers.
I think I like that outlook. Interesting analogy. I will say that I do understand to some extent the discussion, though. I have been riding two wheeled motorized conveyances since the age of 12 or so. I did go through several years without owning a bike (wish I had a do-over) but for the most part have ridden motorcycles all my life. I have a job and a family and cannot ride as much as I would like, but I am on the rode as much as I can be 12 months a year. One thing I do notice is that there are folks that own a bike (or more), but rarely ride or ride very little when they do. They tend to want the image more than anything. I love to ride my bike. I can go all day and still want more. It is my release from everyday life and is like a magic tonic for my soul and well being. This is very hard to describe to most people, but if you are a dedicated "biker", no explanation is necessary. I do think that there are those with a passion for the experience and those who ride, but don't really have that passion. I am not criticizing the latter, just making an observation. I try not be critical of those guys, I just understand that they approach motorcycling differently from me. Are they "posers"? In my opinion not unless they try to pretend that they are something they are not. For example, buying event t-shirts from events they never attended and brag about being there or pretend that they are long riders when they are not. If their interest is just to putt around a bit and have a little fun, then that is fine and they are not "posing". For that matter, it really just does not matter to me if someone "poses" unless they are pretending to be a Military veteran or a cop, or something of that nature. Pretending to be a bad *** biker is really harmless, although it will get your butt kicked in some places. I don't pretend that I am anything other than a guy who loves to ride. I tend to agree that anyone that rides a bike is a "biker" on some level. There are just different levels of being a biker and I think there is room for all. In the words of the renowned motorist and statesman Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This is probably one of the silliest threads ever. The author of this thread is in no position to judge who is or isn’t a biker. He’s simply providing his mis-guided opinion. Sir, the quantity of miles one accumulates does not equate to being a “real biker”. Today, most folks are busy with life and do not have the freedom to ride all day; thus, we ride when we can.

If someone makes the decision to engage in this hobby; fulfills all legal State requirements such as taking a training course and getting a motorcycle endorsement; goes out and purchases a bike; learns about the sport of riding and taking care of his vehicle, guess what: he’s a biker.

Personally, I don’t enjoy riding in the rain or bad inclement weather. When the weather is bad, my bike in the garage. That doesn't make me less of a biker. When on the highway and I see someone riding in the rain or in dead winter, I’m not thinking: WOW, now there’s a real biker. No, I’m thinking, geez I’m sure he’s wet or cold. And guess what, even when the weather is beautiful doesn’t mean that I’m always going to ride. I have a life outside of a motorcycle. I like women; hanging with family and friends; taking care of my home. There is a life outside of your motorcycle.

People on this forum are too concerned with enforcing their narrow minded viewpoints. I really believe that the gentlemen who started this thread should get away from his computer and get back out there and ride more. He’s obviously forgotten the basics for riding. It’s about freedom. Freedom for each person to get away but not to be constrained by someone else’s’ views.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 462 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Is there a minimum post count to be a biker?
Yes! The number is 1010. Sometime later this week I will officially become a biker....WOOO HOOO! I will of course be throwing a major party, and your ALL invited!

Quick Reply: $15k and 15 miles...Doesnt make one a biker