Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What steps do you take to protect your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with what was said before that if someone wants it they can find a way to take it. Good insurance is the best thing you can do. Other than that I think the more custom stuff you do to it the more attractive it is to theives. I keep things fairly plain with regard to looks because I hate the hassle not to mention expense of reporting and replacing it. I know insurance covers it but you still have a deductible and stuck for a ride home etc. etc. (unless they conveniently steal it out of the garage).

Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let them take it...That's why I have insurance.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance and a Ruger .380 LCP

Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

FOB and a Colt

Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Kicks
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, so no one really does anything extra, some think it's a insurance problem then they'll buy another one.
Another one for most people will not be purchased unless you add some large coin.
Your .380's etc. mean nothing while you are away from your bike. Most likely they will get the .380 tucked away on the bike...?

Serious stuff here, the lo-jack is smart there are other products now out there for less money with our technology boom, thinking of putting one on my bike.
Big friken chains don't travel well and the stock alarm is easy to get around if you even have one.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fake vomit on the seat.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I ride a beater so nobody would want it anyhow.

I always use the locks, sometimes a disc lock and sometimes a large cable lock to a solid object.

If they want though it is gone. You will have to be very lucky to ever come up on a person trying to take the bike, in 30 years I caught 1 person and as of yet have not had a bike stolen. Maybe because I march to the beat of a different drummer when it comes to bikes and mine are not attractive to the masses at all.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM
garbageman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine jacked from a large swap meet a few years ago. Locked everything that locks and like was said if they want it they'll get it. All I can say is beef up the insurance and lock it up to make it as inconvienient as possible

Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Not much you can do. If someone wants it, they're gonna get it. I keep it fully locked. In first gear so it's difficult to push. I have an alarm on it and I have good insurance.

I'm not going to shoot someone for attempting to take my bike. You pull that trigger and you'll have more legal problems to worry about.
LOL yeah, these Rambos always make me smile. All you'd have to do is kill someone for stealing and you'd be in the deep **** just about anywhere.

I use the fork lock, a disc lock, HD security with siren and if its out on the road at a hotel, the pager. If that doesn't work, I have full coverage insurance.

You do what you can, and just hope for the best.

Ride Safe

David

Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
LOL yeah, these Rambos always make me smile. All you'd have to do is kill someone for stealing and you'd be in the deep **** just about anywhere.

I use the fork lock, a disc lock, HD security with siren and if its out on the road at a hotel, the pager. If that doesn't work, I have full coverage insurance.

You do what you can, and just hope for the best.

Ride Safe

David
Everything you say is true BUT, there would be a lot less theft of vehicles if it was legal (as it should be) to shoot someone committing Grand Theft.

Quick Reply: What steps do you take to protect your ride?