Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The penny trick fix for squeaking exhaust

Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
My exhaust started the super annoying squeak a few weeks back and it finally got to the point that I had to address the issue. Being a resourceful individual I read a bunch of threads on the subject. First I sprayed the rubber with WD-40 (I know, not good for rubber) to see if that would solve the problem. It did not so I guess I did not sue enough WD-40.

After a little more reading I found someone stuck a penny on the rubber piece to take up the extra slack as the slack was what was causing the squeaking issue. I used a screwdriver to get the in the hole on top of the bracket that attaches to the muffler.

Didn't mess with it after putting the penny in last night but low and behold the squeak was gone on the way to work today. I know I can buy the new rubber pieces for about $4 but I thought I'd try a solution that didn't take me to the dealer first to see if it worked.

We'll see how it is on the way home.
so thats where that MF squeek is coming from...Iv e been going out of my mind trying to find it. I thought I found it when my tailigjht bolts were loose but no joy.....maybe finally I can go through an overpass and not have that $hit echo back at me. So, the penny needs to go at the top of the chrome dohicky @ the center of the rubber bushing...right?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

$37.80 USD shipped... I don't think I'll go this route.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't have an cents so I used a couple of dimes. The next time I took it into the dealer for warranty work, they noticed the two dimes wedged in there and told me that if I continued to use the dimes that it would void my warranty and if I had a crash it could lead to loss of life. They did say that if I folded and stuffed a crisp HD bill into the slots, that it would all be OK.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 AM
BladeRun
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
so thats where that MF squeek is coming from...Iv e been going out of my mind trying to find it.
+1 Gonna try the penny trick tonight after I get home from work. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Use brake fluid rather than WD-40. It is made to be compatible with rubber, it treats the rubber and takes away the brittleness and the squeak goes away.

The rubber inserts are in there so that the mufflers are free to move around with the vibration of the engine so I'm not sure I would want them cinched down with wire ties, hose clamps, etc. Might cause enough of a bind to cause a head pipe to crack. If cinching them down solid was the solution, HD would have just made them that way.

Bill
Brake fluid? I thought that stuff was highly damaging to paint, chrome, etc.

I've used Silicon Spray from NAPA in the past and that works great to stop the dry squeak.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

When it comes time to trade or sell it your bike will be worth 2 more cents

Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'll DO mine Head down Tail UP

Old 04-19-2014, 02:54 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by motolocopat
I think I'll DO mine Head down Tail UP
Ya Buddy!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 PM
FlatRock FLHTCU
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Someone will be selling HD Exhaust squeak fix pennies on ebay tonight for $5 to fix both sides. And, for an extra $4, you can have them chromed too.
Well you might be right, but if so then HD will soon add this to their catalog and it will be a $22.01 for their fix.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Someone will be selling HD Exhaust squeak fix pennies on ebay tonight for $5 to fix both sides. And, for an extra $4, you can have them chromed too.
Hey, don't forget the *****.G version!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The penny trick fix for squeaking exhaust