Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender during riding season?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery tender during riding season?

New to Harley, not new to owing bikes. My question is; do these bikes need to be hooked up to a battery tender during riding season? On all my previous bikes, mostly Honda, I could park for a couple months and not give a second thought to the battery. Always fired right up. On this bike, 2014 FLHTK, there are so many widgets and gadgets that must be putting some drain on the electrical while the bike is off. I'm not a daily rider, I have a company car and required to drive it, so weekends and some afternoons are my riding times outside of planned trips.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Hooking it up to the battery tender has no downside ... It only takes a minute and offers peace of mind along with ensuring a longer battery life. Why not?

Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The alarm and keep alive for the radio,clock etc do draw current. I hook mine up whenever I think about it. I do ride daily but there are ocassions when I don't ride for a week or so. Like others have said why not hook it up? Also did the same thing with my Honda Goldwing before I traded it for this LTD.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wenterkin
New to Harley, not new to owing bikes. My question is; do these bikes need to be hooked up to a battery tender during riding season? On all my previous bikes, mostly Honda, I could park for a couple months and not give a second thought to the battery. Always fired right up. On this bike, 2014 FLHTK, there are so many widgets and gadgets that must be putting some drain on the electrical while the bike is off. I'm not a daily rider, I have a company car and required to drive it, so weekends and some afternoons are my riding times outside of planned trips.
I always hook my up, everyday. Like any modern vehicle, there are so many parasitic drains, the battery is not going to last "months". Your battery will last longer if kept on the proper tender.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
digdug
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just do it

Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always hook up to my battery tender - may as well, as as stated earlier its a fast process and its done. no brainer..

Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Never thought using a tender would cause harm, just was trying to decide whether to buy one now, or wait till end of season (of which there really isn't an off season here, albeit the two weeks we call winter). My salesman just made it a mute point. He sent me a message telling me he forgot to give me the battery tender that, apparently, comes with the purchase of a new bike from them. Issue resolved.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

I attribute my 7+ year oem battery life on the tender. USE IT!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Actually I use a "Battery Minder", not tender. Supposedly de-sulphates the battery. Who knows, but 7 years is sweet.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM
RidinWithStyle
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup I do it to!

Quick Reply: Battery tender during riding season?