Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Street Glide to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which Street Glide to buy?

Hi,
I have an 08 Street Glide and really love it but the 2014's have enough changes/upgrades that I am ready to trade up. I've been reading over these forums for days now and from what I can gather the majority of riders who have purchased a 2014 SG are very happy with it. Before I pull the trigger though, can someone please highlight the differences and the pros and cons between the Standard SG and the SGS? Is the difference in price worth upgrading to a SGS? Also if the bike doesn't have the factory security system does it still use a key fob or do you have to use a key?
Thanks for any input.
Willie

Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 AM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't address your question but for what it's worth, one local dealer said they are only carrying the special.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 AM
atretes1
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 5 Posts

If a bike does not have the security system you do not need the key to start if but you would want to lock the forks/lock when not in use. I do not do the latter but I have the security system. The 2 main features that I like on the special are the upgraded shock and GPS.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Railridin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted to go with the standard, had no desire to want the gps, have it in the truck and have never used it. I mainly ride solo so the upgraded shocks weren't much of a sell either. I think the gauges might be a little different. You also get the painted inner fairing, as I went with black denim it didn't matter there either for me. I figured I might as well not got the stuff I didn't want and spend the extra money on the upgrades I did want. No security, I just make sure I lock everything up and always have the key on me.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 AM
atretes1
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Railridin
I opted to go with the standard, had no desire to want the gps, have it in the truck and have never used it. I mainly ride solo so the upgraded shocks weren't much of a sell either. I think the gauges might be a little different. You also get the painted inner fairing, as I went with black denim it didn't matter there either for me. I figured I might as well not got the stuff I didn't want and spend the extra money on the upgrades I did want. No security, I just make sure I lock everything up and always have the key on me.
Yeah I have denim black also and had to take off my painted inner for a new painted inner

Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Granpita
Cruiser

I bought the SGS, partially for the larger GPS screen, but mainly for the linked brakes and the security system. If you're upgrading from an '08, the performance and handling improvements will blow you away. There is a BIG difference.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Street Glide Special -

Infotainment
Suspension
LBS

Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 AM
*Road King*
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

does the 14 have better rear shocks or does it ride rough like my 2011?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser

If you want GPS, then SGS is your only choice.

For me, I really wanted ABS and security, in addition to GPS, so it was an easy decision. It just depends on what features you can't live without, and what your wallet can bear.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bpd138
Hi,
I have an 08 Street Glide and really love it but the 2014's have enough changes/upgrades that I am ready to trade up. I've been reading over these forums for days now and from what I can gather the majority of riders who have purchased a 2014 SG are very happy with it. Before I pull the trigger though, can someone please highlight the differences and the pros and cons between the Standard SG and the SGS? Is the difference in price worth upgrading to a SGS? Also if the bike doesn't have the factory security system does it still use a key fob or do you have to use a key?
Thanks for any input.
Willie
If you have the new bike fever you should at least wait until the '15's come out, worse case if the 15 is not what you want then at least the prices of the left over '14's might be lower?

Quick Reply: Which Street Glide to buy?