Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable won't thread into Side Cover !

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable won't thread into Side Cover !

Man, what a PITA ! Replacing my clutch cable and cannot get the new cable to thread into the side tranny cover. Tried for almost 2 hours today and had to walk away. I've done clutch cables in the past including one on this bike but never had this much of a problem getting the cable to grab and start screwing into the cover ? I know it sometimes is hard to get them to line up but I had to give up on this one. Threads look good on cable and cover so just don't know. Tried giving it a good coating of the Redline tranny fluid but that didn't help. Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Any seasoned mechanics here got any tricks to get the threads to grab ?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Who made the cable? I had one that needed the threads cleaned up with a die to thread into the cover. I have to replace that cable now since it is a POS and is leaking where the crimp connection is at. My advice: send it back for a refund and find a Harley factory cable that will fit.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

The way I do I is to hold the cable still in one hand, and screw on the cover to the cable. I have found that if I remove the snap ring, the *****, and the holder halves it makes it easier.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
The way I do I is to hold the cable still in one hand, and screw on the cover to the cable. I have found that if I remove the snap ring, the *****, and the holder halves it makes it easier.

This works for me also

Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know what you mean. I have done a few clutch cables too and they are frustrating. The first thing I do is lay the cable out on the floor then put the end that goes in the tranny side cover into the hole and try to find the correct angle so the threads catch. The best thing you did was walk away. When I get pissed and tired and frustrated I usually screw something up. You'll get it. Just another simple job that turns into a pain in the butt. Harley's are good for that. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, piece of cake

Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easier to get it threaded in then run the cable to the bars.

The following users liked this post:
Rick Brackenbury (02-08-2020)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

A very wise member mentioned to me to tie a string from the end of the cable and hang it from the cieling. it would turn easier that way making it a sinch to install. he was right and thanks goes out to him for that useful bit of info.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when I have a problem like that, I close my eyes and complete the task by picturing it all in my brain and not actually looking at it

Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 PM
320davidd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Cable won't thread into Side Cover !