Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys is this a bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bearing. But the previous posts are correct. Get the front end off the ground. Hand spin it forward in normal travel direction then reverse. If there is a noise forward, sometimes it's louder when you spin it in revers. If the brake pads are rubbing, open them up a little so there is no friction on the rotor. You need the wheel to have least resistance for the spin and sound check. Soiunds dumb,. but its great prevention. FYI I had all my wheel bearings replaced this past winter. 87k and lower side, (Left side) bearings were starting to drag and make sounds. New bearings and installed is cheaper than paying someone to scrape your *** off the pavement (if you get my meaning)
Have a Great Riding Season

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the tire I bet.

Mark

Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tape a washer on the center of the tire and roll it a full turn. Some tires vary in actual size. If the tire is rubbing the washer will bind it up or fall off

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your tire was spin balanced when it was installed they would/should have caught it if it was a bearing.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake pads dragging on the rotor.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 AM
rkidd
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddys bike had the same problem. Would have bet it was front wheel bearing. Replaced front wheel bearings, had same noise. Ended up being drive belt was too tight. For what it is worth.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 AM
supafish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys I jacked up bike today and spun wheel there is definetely a sound other than brake drag but didn't notice any binding or tire problem while spinning, I did notice a problem with the right side spacer, I have a shop manual and the groves on the spacer should be toward the fork but mine is toward the wheel, I have ABS so hard to tell on left side. I'll bet this was done by the company at Assy. I say this because usually when you take wheel off the spacer stays on axle, no reason to take it off on the right side. Any comments? And again thanks for all replies.

Dan

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Check for Proper Mounting of Tire on the Wheel

I went round and round one afternoon with a tire dealer -- that has the machinery to mount and balance motorcycle tires -- when he mounted a genuine HD tire that I bought on line, wrong.

The "peanuts" of the cut outs of the disc rotors "always follow" and "never lead" going forward. Now, my 2007 rotors are marked "L" and "R". The fellow took this to mean left and right looking from the rear of the bike. But for some unknown reason, HD distinguishes R & L marks looking from the front of the bike.

If your tire direction arrow is pointing forward and the disc rotor cooling slot "peanuts" are "leading", it could very well be causing your new noise.

Your service manual will show the proper rotor and tire position and it will have an explanatory photo of the "peanuts".

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Just thought I'd add that from now on whenever I get a tire mounted I will have a copy of the service manual page to show the tire dealer the correct position of the tire mounted on the wheel..

When I made the tire dealer dismount, remount and re-balance my tire the way I wanted it, he told me there would be "no guarantee". I agreed and told him the next tire I have him change, I'll bring my manual so he could see for himself. I left there wondering how many touring tires he had mounted improperly (?).

I wasn't mad at the guy and I will pay for his services in the future. Anyone would/should think that L & R means left and right looking from the rear of the bike, car or whatever the vehicle is.

At times I think HD did this just to jack with independent tire dealers...

Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

That is interesting..maybe to your 07. I know the parts manual/fish is pictured inversed but my rotor is marked correctly to the left being looking fwd for the 44156-00 left rotor. Safe to say, rotor is correct, picture is wrong but since there is no bike with picture, someone should not assume direction..HA

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Ok guys is this a bearing problem