Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys is this a bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM
supafish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys is this a bearing problem

2010 SG 10K miles, brand new tires. I have a constant humming sound coming from front wheel, I found a long hill turned motor off a ran it down, definetely coming from wheel I touched the brake a no difference in sound, any help will be greatly appreciated. I believe it's the front wheel bearings, there is nothing visible from wheel that I can see.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by supafish
2010 SG 10K miles, brand new tires. I have a constant humming sound coming from front wheel, I found a long hill turned motor off a ran it down, definetely coming from wheel I touched the brake a no difference in sound, any help will be greatly appreciated. I believe it's the front wheel bearings, there is nothing visible from wheel that I can see.

Thanks
Get it on lift with front wheel off ground and turn it by hand. How does it "feel"? If a bearing is going bad enough to make noise as you describe, it won't turn free, or at least without some pull. If a bearing has a flat spot or worse, you'll feel it as you turn the wheel by hand.

Also, you mentioned you have brand new tires... Did you have the noise before you put on new tires? Did the noise appear with the new tires? Double check the pressure. See if the sound persists at slightly higher or lower pressure setting. What brand are the tires?

Last edited by dgdamore; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Toofat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you rechecked your tires air pressure. It might be that your tire is low. Also if you have a bike jack, jack the bike up and spin the front tire by hand. Maybe the new tire is defective and out of round. If the humming started right after changing tires, its probably not the bearings.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do not have a bike jack just use a bottle, scissor jack. Just put it under the front part of the frame while the bike is on the jiffy stand.
When doing front end work or cleaning, that is what I use most of the time.

Check your tire pressure first. The newer type tires will humm in corners, that's normal. Humming on straight riding is usually a low tire.
I find it odd that it happened when you changed the front tire.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 PM
supafish
Advanced

I bought the bike with 3200 miles on it and put about 5500 miles on it before hearing noise took it to a dealer and had them test ride, the tires were cupped and he said that's the problem. I had new tires put on just before winter from a different dealer that took care of it under a tire recall. I still had the same noise, mechanic said he thinks its the fat boy fender I put on it. I've had it on there since new and didn't have a problem. The tire pressure is right on. By the way thanks for the replies. Dan

Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Someone could have possible over tighten the front but it takes an extremely over torque to crush then inner spacer. My new Michelin on the back makes an odd humming howl when I bank it hard in a turn.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try to touch the area around the bearing to see if it is hot if it is to hot to hold your finger on well that's your problem.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 PM
supafish
Advanced

There's no heat coming from area

Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Time to check it with the tire off the ground, then perhaps remove the wheel to give it a good check. If it is a bearing and making that kind of noise-you can hear it- it is about to freeze or come apart.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 625 Likes on 453 Posts

Windshields and fairings can reflect noises from the rear and they seem to come from the front. How tight is the belt after the new rear tire? Were brakes changed with the tires? Try your test again and press lightly on the rear brake and listen for changes in sound.

Quick Reply: Ok guys is this a bearing problem