Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

de cat and extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default de cat and extended warranty

so im thinking about de catting. anybody have a bad or good experience with extended warranty after de catting. im thinking about doing both. de catting and buying the extended warranty this year. right now i have a basic stage 1 on my 13 UC. i may purchase a fuel moto head pipe. thx for any info

Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

If you drill it out without cutting the pipe how would they know you removed it? I drilled mine out, nobody can tell it's been done.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Either de catting or after market header, you will feel less heat. With a tuner devise, you will get more power and not mention sound like a Harley.

As for ESP, I have heard that they have tighten the rains and "they" look at the motorcycle more with a microscope and seem to blame any/and everything on non stock parts. If you do de cat the header, just make sure it covered up well with the heat shield so that it's not noticeable by the ESP police.

Just my opinion, if it were me and my bike, I would not hesitate to go with Jamie's Fuel Moto set up rather de catting the stock header and chancing getting some mico size crap some how finding its way into the motor.

YB

Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

H D cant figure that out with a diagnostic check? Im just curious but yeah. thats an option

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Why buy an extended warranty? Put the money in a savings account and keep adding to it. If no work is needed, you win! Or do what I did, pay cash for my 13 Heritage.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Check with your dealer and see if he will sell cheap or give you a take off head pipe. You can then decat it, and if you have a problem later, you can just put the original back on.

My dealer just gives me takeoffs.

Bill

Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD

Just my opinion, if it were me and my bike, I would not hesitate to go with Jamie's Fuel Moto set up rather de catting the stock header and chancing getting some mico size crap some how finding its way into the motor.

YB
I love Jamie's stuff, but as far as the head pipe goes, the Jackpot header only makes 1.8 HP more than the gutted cat. If you do the window method of gutting and use a grinder to clean the pipe, there is no chance of getting anything in the engine. Gutted header is 30 or 40 bucks to weld the window back in. Jackpot is 400, and both do the same thing.

Bill

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

i do like the option of having the old stock pipe to put back on if need be but part of my original question was would the warranty be void if this was done. Has anyone actually had there HD dealer say sorry. Your warranty is no good

Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 AM
spf62
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
so im thinking about de catting. anybody have a bad or good experience with extended warranty after de catting. im thinking about doing both. de catting and buying the extended warranty this year. right now i have a basic stage 1 on my 13 UC. i may purchase a fuel moto head pipe. thx for any info
I have the same dilemma, I put on Kerker 4' stouts, it sounds better, but its still not the sound I want, kind of muffled and not at throaty.
Not sure what to do so I don't void the warranty

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

I want to remove the cat as well. I think I will just save and buy an aftermarket header. May prevent heartache in the long run.

Quick Reply: de cat and extended warranty