Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Garmin Road Tech 660.I added a 30 gig Micro SD card now I have a 30 GB MP3 player.Which is a good thing since the day I went to pick up my Garmin my Ipod got rained on and now the screen back light is out and it's borderline useless.Also the 660s MP3 player has better sound than my Ipod through the AUX jack.

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 04-20-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Another vote for the Garmin Zumo 600!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my 665 with the NIM and hard mount. I tried a couple of the cheaper Garmin unit and they work but a couple issues I had:

1. Some where hard to read in direct sunlight
2. The volume was too low to hear while moving at higher speeds. This caused me to want to try and look at the GPS while moving and in "complicated" highway interchanges and exits.
3. Gloves were less than friendly on one of the units, can't remember which.
4. I lost a baggie trying to get one of the units covered. The wind caught it and it went sailing. Yup, ended up frying the GPS unit because of rain.
5. Some of the units don't allow way points to be exported to the unit so all the route planning software is no good.

When I researched, the biggest issue I had was trying to find an inexpensive unit that also had an audio out that I could plug into the input jack on the radio so I could hear the driving directions. One of them that I got had the audio out but didn't allow way points. I use the weather on a regular basis and listen to XM all the time. I don't have any issue with reception and I have a metalic paint flakes in mine. Just yesterday, I used the weather map while riding from Dallas - Amarillo - Lubbock - Dallas. There was a small rain storm moving through Amarillo and just south. I was able to back the speed down quite a bit and miss all the hard stuff and just caught an occasional sprinkle.

I sync it with my Sena when I wear a helmet and it works pretty good although I do seem to lose bluetooth if I am having a long intercom discussion. I just reboot the Sena.

Last edited by FinalShot; 04-20-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 AM
koga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I was looking for a Nuvi 500 or 550, found a great deal on a used one..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Old 04-20-2014, 05:30 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
For me, I think the Zumo 550 is the best GPS for motorcycles. Water proof, programmable, custom routes from computer, XM radio, and the screen doesn't wash out in direct sun light. Also Blur tooth I think, not sure because I've never used it for that. A good alternative is the Nuvi 500 or 550. Both are water proof and you can load custom routes from your computer. I have the 550 as a back up and use it in my truck. No experience with the new Zumo 660 or 665.
If you have it plugged into the AUX port, does this provide continual power from the main battery to the unit. I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and have never used the AUX port. So sorry if this is a stupid question. I know the battery life on these units is only one hour which is worthless.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:41 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
If you have it plugged into the AUX port, does this provide continual power from the main battery to the unit. I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and have never used the AUX port. So sorry if this is a stupid question. I know the battery life on these units is only one hour which is worthless.
No, it is an audio 3.5mm jack only. And, to add to that, you must have your radio in "Aux" in order for any input to be heard.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Whatever model, "Garmin" gets my vote. I've had a number of different handhelds etc including XX bargain brands and "Standard Horizon" marine units. Simply, in my own experience, Garmin has given me reliable, update-able, functional products and service at good value for the dollar. I'm not dissing Tom Tom or Magellan or Lawrence or anyone elses stuff, just sayin Garmin is good. I've had an old GPSMAP 60CSX since 2008 before I owned a bike. I've kept it updated with the latest maps. Its going on the bars of my bike simply because I already have it on hand and it works perfectly. Mount cost me 11 bux, I'm in business.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by FinalShot
No, it is an audio 3.5mm jack only. And, to add to that, you must have your radio in "Aux" in order for any input to be heard.
Thanks. So how do you get power to it? I assume you have to run power cables to the main battery. What a fricking PIA that would be. It doesn't seem like any of the GPS units have long enough battery life to even take a four hour trip. Heck, I could use my GPS on the IPhone for that matter.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 PM
03snake
Tourer

I spent the coin on the HD Garmin 600. No regrets. Great mount on my SG. Talks to me through BT. My wife and I have UClear HB200 BT helmet communicators and it cuts her out to give me instructions. I also like the preloaded Harley dealer database. The only thing I don't like is when on a programmed route the road is PINK! Should be Orange!

Quick Reply: Best GPS?