Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Nilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?

I put Wild1 16" apes on my RK last season and ran them all season, love the look but have never been completely happy with the comfort. I'm 6'1" with long arms, and for some reason these bars just KILL my hips, and to a lesser extent my low back, at any speed over 50mph. If I put the windshield on, no issues... but I don't like to run the shield unless I'm really putting some serious miles on. I think it has something to do with the way I'm forced to hold my torso up. I feel like there is too much pullback and all the stabilization of my upper body is being accomplished with my hip flexors. I have them pushed as far forward as possible without contacting the shield. I come from a sportbike background so leaning forward is familiar and comfortable to me, but I'm still leaning back a little with these bars due to my long *** arms.

So, over this winter I bought some Klock Werks mentele bars. I mocked them up but moved back to the apes before the weather even got nice. They have very little rise, but quite a bit more pullback than I would like.

However, I'm considering giving them another go. I put a C&C solo seat on my bike this winter as well, and with that seat being about an inch lower than my previous seat it has only made the comfort issues worse. Outside of trying the menteles yet again, I'm wondering if a drag bar with very little pullback and perhaps a 4-6" rise might do the trick? The problem there is I see most of them have built in risers needing a new design clamp cover. THe one from HD says it only works for '03 and up, my bike is a 2001. I saw the Carlini piece but there's no way I'm dropping $250 on a clamp cover.

Is there another option or bend out there I haven't considered? I'd like something with a little style, I know a lot of guys like the Heritage bars but they just don't do anything for me.

Last edited by Nilla; 04-20-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Drag bars on a RK? I don't know about that? Go to Wild1's website and look at the various bars mounted on RK's. Maybe Beach bars?

I have WO513's on mine. A little taller, wider, and more pullback than stock

Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Nilla
Cruiser

I need less pullback, not more. I'd really like to give the street slammers a try, but for some reason HD says that they will only work on 03 and newer Road Kings. Not sure why...?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

What about stock RK bars?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You're as tall as i am.....next time ( unless you are already doing it ) shift your feet forward on the boards....it will shift the hip position whereby it could fix the problem, also a driver backrest might help.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Nilla
Cruiser

Yeah, moving the feet forward definitely does help, but it doesn't eliminate it.

I'm really curious what changed from 2003 forward that makes it so the street slammer nacelle cover will not work on the older models.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
MICHAEL ADAMS
Novice
Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RK bars

Just a suggestion try Sinister Industries and their Drag Bars for Road Kings

Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was one of the few that had no issues with my stock bars so changing mine to WO 504's was more for the looks and I could internally wire. Also the thicker/heavier/chrome.

They sit lower than stock, A little bit wider and have enough pullback but no wheelbarrow angle.
Not beach bars, but what they call dresser bars. I didn't need wire extensions but they sure would have been nice just the same.

Might be the ticket for you. Kinda like a "standard" handlebar vs a drag bar.
Love the bends and overall shape. Looks like they belong on my Road King.
SC

Attached Thumbnails Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?-compare.jpg   Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?-compare2.jpg   Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?-new-wo-504-s.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

As some others have asked, why not the RK OEM bars? If buying the $250.00 clamp is the answer, why not spend the money. So you buy another set of bars, do the labor & it's still doesn't work???? I'm betting you spent more that $250.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Nilla
Cruiser

I hated the stock bars. Plus, I like to run internal wiring for a nice clean look. Those Wild1 dresser bars look good, their street fighter bar might fit the bill also.

Quick Reply: Yet another bar dilemma... drag bars?