Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Strange Tale

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default A Strange Tale

So over the Easter weekend, the wife and I rode over to Atlanta to get a picture of the bike at the capital building (27th Capital). We got the picture Friday and stayed at a hotel by Six Flags.

Saturday morning we left the hotel and got on I-20. I had just pulled onto the interstate and there were two cars driving beside each other in two right hand lanes. I saw a bike in my rearview but he was far enough back that I turned my signal on to turn into the left lane. On second look, I saw he was coming up fast so I turned my signal off an was waiting for him to pass before pulling into the left lane. Then I heard him honk his horn and saw him signaling me to pull into the lane.

I pulled into the left lane and gassed it so as not to hold him up too much. I was watching him in my rearview and saw him shift to the right side of the lane and come up on me.

It pissed me off as he pulled up next to me in the same lane I was in, but when I looked over, it was a hiway patrol on a cop bike and he was very enthusiastically giving me a thumbs up. He had matched my speed and was stretching way out to me with his thumb in the air.

I was blown away. First off, I was doing about 80 in a 65, but the way he kept beside me with his thumb in the air was just weird. Finally, when I nodded to him, he sped off in front of me. About a mile up the road he turned off the interstate and slowed down on the off ramp. When we were even with him he started waving like a ninny.

This was one of the strangest experiences I have had on the road. I just don't know what to think about it. Maybe he's a big fan of the 110th paint or maybe he does this to all the bikers he see's. I have no idea.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Not all cops are dicks.

See my avatar pic

Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Strange indeed. Whenever I see another biker, I just give a nod or a hand to the side. Try to mind my own business and not over acknowldge someone. Cop or not, this guy is a wanna be

Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Violence
Not all cops are dicks.
Pretty nice of him to do that even while you were a little bit over the limit.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a cool cop. They are out there, you just have to look real hard.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 PM
njhonker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. we have a lot of IL State Police in our area on bikes. they regularly give me thumbs up or a wave.....even when they are sitting on the highway shooting radar...

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
RCVANDAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, I will keep looking for the good ones.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Got stopped for speeding in Wyoming on way home from Sturgis. Was doing probably 30 over". Was very nice guy! We talked bikes! He gave me a warning! Let me go. I framed warning ticket for my shop for my friend who said all cops in Wyoming are dicks ! Lol

Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was headed down 183 in Irving, TX doing about 75 in a 60. As I came over the hill, I saw the cop, had me dead to rights and saw him putting his laser gun down. I thought well ****, here comes a traffic stop. Instead, he motioned with his hand in a downward fashion to slow down and then waved at me. I waved back, a little more of a thank you wave than anything else.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default exactly

Originally Posted by billbuzz
Strange indeed. Whenever I see another biker, I just give a nod or a hand to the side. Try to mind my own business and not over acknowldge someone. Cop or not, this guy is a wanna be
That's my thought too. I've only had one other time when a bike I wasn't riding with came up and passed me in my lane. That was a rice rocket and we all know they don't have any sense.

It seemed like this guy thought that because he was on two wheels, it was the same as if I grew up with him.

Quick Reply: A Strange Tale