Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pothole damage???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
That is what I thought as well. Hurt the pretty value, but not structural value.
That's what I'm hoping. Like I said, rode no different for the 40-50 miles I did after. So I'm not too worried just thought I'd ask! I have seen some bent ones on here that must have shooken their spines. I'm headed to ocean city bike week this weekend and could care less of prettiness. Care about structure and stability... Is there any way to check for that kind of damage? Or is riding it going to be only way? Would it wobble f you spin it? Any known symptoms of a bent/damaged rim?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
It's smooth like a tire iron gouge.
you mean like on wacked it? or someone damaged it while fixing it, balancing it etc

Last edited by Rickierockit92; 04-22-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badpig173
Pot holes are very bad and very dangerous around here too. I hit one while riding a couple weeks ago. It was mid afternoon and I was trailing my buddy riding staggard. The road was heavily shadowed and it was not unusual to see differences in pavement colors, etc..I saw what appeared to be just another shadow up ahead until I was right on top of it. About 4 ft long, a good 12-14 inches wide and somewhere around 4-5 inches deep. It jarred the **** outta me and bucked me up off the seat. My hat came off my head. By the time I got it to where I knew I was good, I tried to signal my buddy but he did not see me. I went back and got my hat and headed back in the direction we had been traveling. It was a few minutes before him and his wife met me coming back to see where I was..Scary stuff...for sure

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickierockit92
Riding down 476 (blue route) here in PA on my 07 street glide and hit a pothole.. Nothing too too radical but it deff pissed me off. I felt it more in the rear then I did in the front.. Anyway, continued to the brewery I was headed to and no wobbles or shakes at 30-50 mph. Checked for bet rim etc. I hit 100 mph easy on 76 and all seems good. No difference in the ride. Got home.. Got a little lit and went out side to investigate my rims just in case. Came across this little bastard on the front rim and my questions are these.. Do you think that was from the pothole? It seems like a chip or scratch. Not a crack. I have casted alloy rims I belive.. I have touring wheels/tires obviously which I'm sure are made to with stand this kind of ****. But just wanna see what you guys think .. Front wheel. Does not seem bent either.
Nope. Not pothole damage.

Now THIS is pothole damage.

Attached Thumbnails Pothole damage???-imag0256.jpg   Pothole damage???-imag0257.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickierockit92
That's what I'm hoping. Like I said, rode no different for the 40-50 miles I did after. So I'm not too worried just thought I'd ask! I have seen some bent ones on here that must have shooken their spines. I'm headed to ocean city bike week this weekend and could care less of prettiness. Care about structure and stability... Is there any way to check for that kind of damage? Or is riding it going to be only way? Would it wobble f you spin it? Any known symptoms of a bent/damaged rim?
X-ray and /or magnaflux will confirm it one way or the other.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 69cj
X-ray and /or magnaflux will confirm it one way or the other.

im confident ill be ok.. but how would i even go about doing an x ray or manaflux?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Now THIS is pothole damage.
Damn!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM
KylePutzier
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
That is what I thought as well. Hurt the pretty value, but not structural value.
I don't know. I would be careful. That is right where the little pads rub when you put on the brakes.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I hit a hole a few years back...my front fork oil was old and the compression made the front fender hit up high...still have the dent in my fender. Now I change the fork oil every 7,000 miles.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

That is from someone using a tire iron and doing a bad job.

Quick Reply: Pothole damage???