Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard Extensions for Aggressive Rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Floorboard Extensions for Aggressive Rider?

I have a 2012 SG and I'm an aggressive rider. Yes, even in Florida..lol I like to lean a lot in corners. My pipes, floorboard mounts are all scraped. I like the idea of the floorboard extenders, but wonder if they would be a good idea for someone who rides aggressively.

Anyone ride aggressively and use the floorboard extenders, please let me know how they work for you and do they affect your cornering? Thanks for any help.

Murph

Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

By 'extenders', are you talking about the ones that put the footboards outboard 3/4 to 1", or the ones that put the footboards FORWARD 1"...if the latter, probably no problem. If the former, I believe the manufacturers caution that cornering clearance will be reduced. If you are currently touching down on your footboards, then absolutely, your high speed cornering is gonna be affected.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Been riding my RK with 1" extensions while EG was apart and was surprised how often/quickly the broads were scraping??? Put them on my EG but thought they looked goofy with hard lowers and took them off. Personally I don't think they do anything for comfort either??

Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the 1 inch extensions, and ride very aggressively. Last weekend I rode the 3 Sisters here in Texas and still didn't have any issues. Im on a 2013 Limited.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

With the footboards on my Road King extended out 1", the footboard bracket hits the ground before the footboard does. I don't like that because they can jack the bike up in a corner without warning. So now I'm a lot more cautious. But I do like the extra room they gave my legs. Joe

Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

My Harley Goodies extenders went on the same time as my 13"Ohlins that actually raised my frame/seat height a bit over stock. The end result is that they rarely scrape even when I hit the twisties hard. My Commander IIs are also slightly taller than the Metzlers I used to run.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by DK's Limited
I use the 1 inch extensions, and ride very aggressively. Last weekend I rode the 3 Sisters here in Texas and still didn't have any issues. Im on a 2013 Limited.
Difference is Limited suspension sits @ 1" taller than SG.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I have 3/4" Soos extenders and rarely scrape.....And I regularly ride more gnarly roads than anything in Florida or the Texas "hill country". Whether or not you scrape has an awful lot to do with your corner mechanics. Take the right line, brake the right way, and lean the right way, and you won't scrape much.

I scrape more at walking speeds in parking lots than I do in the mountains, and I'm hardly what you'd call a restrained rider.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks to all for your help. I'm 6-4 and wanted to move the boards out some. I don't scrap all the time, but there are times I do. I just don't want to cause more of a problem then fixing one.. right?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
Thanks to all for your help. I'm 6-4 and wanted to move the boards out some. I don't scrap all the time, but there are times I do. I just don't want to cause more of a problem then fixing one.. right?
I'm 6'4" as well, I use the harley goodies 1' spacers and they definatly scraped sooner than with no spacers.

Recently I added the http://www.tallboyscycles.com/ brackets. they move the boards forward and drop the rear of the board. I have zero scraping issues with these. Plus the are way more comfortable for us guys looking for leg room.

Quick Reply: Floorboard Extensions for Aggressive Rider?