Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel moto x pipe installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
harleyflo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If anyone has absolutely any issues with any of our exhaust systems I recommend contacting us and we can walk you thru the install. Also be sure to completely read the instructions, here is a copy for reference: http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/docum.../FM-03-FLH.pdf

The Jackpot head pipes are designed for exact fitment, when installing start with the front primary and when the pipe is positioned and oriented correctly the rear primary will somewhat snap into place. If everything does not line up perfectly at this point stop right there and make sure the clip for the collar is sitting centered in the flange and also check the exhaust gaskets. For gaskets use either the Fuel Moto flat gaskets part # FM-260 or the factory tapered style gaskets. Note: using the incorrect gaskets can/will affect the fitment of the exhaust pipe. Tighten the flange nuts to approx 99 in-lbs, if they are uneven back them off and retighen them in an equal sequence. When installing the crossover as noted in the install instruction it needs to be installed at a 45 degree angle due to the compound bend in this pipe, point the outlet toward the ground slide it on the headpipe and rotate it up into place. If you try to push the crossover on at a right angle it will damage the gasket, the gasket can be picked up from any HD dealer. Again, if any questions come up along the way during installation we are here to help, all channels are open.
So is it normal that 1 out of 4 nut i can see tread from the bolt and the other 3 are flush or not.Also was off at the rear by about 1/2 inch (i had to push upward to get it in place so i could screw the nuts in).As for the cross over gasket i just ordered another one.But it just seem that the outside diameter of these pipes are too big because of powder coat.And yes i did read the instruction and i did restart 3 times.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflo
So is it normal that 1 out of 4 nut i can see tread from the bolt and the other 3 are flush or not.Also was off at the rear by about 1/2 inch (i had to push upward to get it in place so i could screw the nuts in).As for the cross over gasket i just ordered another one.But it just seem that the outside diameter of these pipes are too big because of powder coat.And yes i did read the instruction and i did restart 3 times.
Where are you located?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed these pipes last year when I did the cam upgrade. I tried to do it all in one day so the installation of the pipes was getting into the evening hours. I worked at it for several hours to no avail. I was convinced that there was something wrong with the tube bends and gave up for the night, taking them completely off. Next day I thought I would give it one more shot after re-reading the instructions. On the first attempt they just seemed to snap into place with no fuse whatsoever. I finished the install in about an hour, half of that was refitting the heat shields. These too seem a bit of a pain, but after talking to FM I did get them lined up perfectly and with no gaps. It takes infinite patience and you have to hold your mouth just so, but they do go on. I have had them off twice now and both times the reinstall was no issue. I do use a pipe expander on my mufflers to open them up slightly and they slip right on. I am probably playing with fire, but I still have the original gaskets in the exhaust ports and the crossover, and original clamps, and have no leaking.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

To answer your question all nuts should have the same amount of the stud threads showing, maybe a thread or two difference but not one flush and others have threads. Threads need to protrude at least 2 threads beyond the nut for it to be secured properly, otherwise they will work loose. Are you sure the pipe is inserted all the way into the head and not cocked on the edge?
Another thing to try is never seeze on the slip joints, this will aid in being able to twist and turn them into place.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM
harleyflo
Tourer

Well if it should be all the same threads on bolts i guest i have a problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know your question was to FuelMoto but I had the same situation. I think it's unreasonable(my words) to think you are going to get it to sit 100% perfect. A small bit of misalignment IMO shouldn't be considered a problem. Variations in manufacturing and the person doing the install are factors. My criteria for success was an installation that seated the flanges squarely in the ports and didn't leak. I noticed that the front lower stud protruded a couple of threads more than the upper. I was able to torque it properly and no leaks. I have had it off and on three times and each time it fit exactly the same.....and no leaks. Slight variations in manufacturing bends may be the reason but still certainly acceptable. I have purchased custom pipes before and Jamie's are very, very well bent by comparison. I seriously doubt the pipe is too big. Tighten it. Run the motor to operating temp. Torque again. I repeat that three times with new gaskets. They compress a bit as they heat and seat in the ports.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
harleyflo
Tourer

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I know your question was to FuelMoto but I had the same situation. I think it's unreasonable(my words) to think you are going to get it to sit 100% perfect. A small bit of misalignment IMO shouldn't be considered a problem. Variations in manufacturing and the person doing the install are factors. My criteria for success was an installation that seated the flanges squarely in the ports and didn't leak. I noticed that the front lower stud protruded a couple of threads more than the upper. I was able to torque it properly and no leaks. I have had it off and on three times and each time it fit exactly the same.....and no leaks. Slight variations in manufacturing bends may be the reason but still certainly acceptable. I have purchased custom pipes before and Jamie's are very, very well bent by comparison. I seriously doubt the pipe is too big. Tighten it. Run the motor to operating temp. Torque again. I repeat that three times with new gaskets. They compress a bit as they heat and seat in the ports.
Same has you front lower a see and feel the end of bolt but the others no way man i dont feel or see the end of bolts.Ill know more when i start it and leave it run.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same has you front lower a see and feel the end of bolt but the others no way man i dont feel or see the end of bolts.Ill know more when i start it and leave it run.
When I torqued them to spec the first time with new gaskets, the studs were about flush with the nut and the lower front stud was protruding a thread or two. After it ran a bit I torqued again. Was able to get a turn or so. Road for a half hour and got another turn. Then they basically stayed put.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time I touched the crossover, I used an expander after removing the gasket material, then reinstalled the material. I had more trouble with the crossover then actually getting the headers on. I've had V&H also, nature of the beast to be a little work getting them on. Just went to Supertrapp, these pipes had to be held high at the rear part to get on. Just saying they all need some tinkering to get on

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
C. Harper
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on today. Had trouble getting the head pipe to line up then the full size crossover pipe is loose. It came with an aluminum sleeve (looked like aluminum) but no gasket. Has anyone else received the full size crossover pipe with a gasket.

I'm also having trouble lining up the heat shields.

My son bought a set and he had the same problems.

I think I will call FM tomorrow & see what I'm doing wrong.

Quick Reply: Fuel moto x pipe installation problems