Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Shocked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 AM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm Shocked!

If you look at my profile, you know I ride a 2002 Electra Glide Classic.

Recently, I rode a 2014 Limited & absolutely fell in love. I rode it with my daughter as a passenger. We both loved it. I test-rode with my lady-friend. She said, “It’s much smoother than your bike.” Harley has made a bike that tracks and handles as solidly as any BMW I have ever ridden.

The ride on the 2014 was so impressive and so improved not only over mine, but also over the 2009-2013 models. I came to the conclusion I was going to drop 30 large on a new bike . . . then I spoke to Howard Messner who challenged me to upgrade my suspension and see if my 02 would not ride on-par with a 2014 if I were to put Ohlins on the rear and look toward putting his triple-trees and larger forks on the front end.

I bit the bullet and purchased the Ohlins with the remote reservoir. I told Howard my weight, the usual weight of the junk in my saddle bags, and the (approximate - of course) weight of my lady friend and of my daughter. I paid Howard much less than the published amount on his web site, and waited.

Well, my package arrived last week.

The first thing I did was read over Howard’s instructions a couple of times, highlighting what seemed to be important. I pawed through the box for the Ohlins factory instructions and read those. I even went on YouTube and watched the videos concerning measuring ride height, sag, and all the various adjustments one can make to give a sporty ride or a cushy, comfortable ride.

Finally, last Saturday, with the help of an excellent Harley mechanic, installed the rear shocks exactly as Howard had set forth in his instructions. I called him to say I was “in process” of the installation and got it down to 1/16" from exactly vertical & would “call it good.” At that point, Howard reminded me of the error of my ways much the same way my Marine Drill Instructor did in 1968. I shimmed the installation so close I could not get a feeler gauge between the shock and the frame. [That means I listened to Howard’s instructions that the upper and lower attach points have to be EXACTLY lined up. None of the “close enough for government work.”]

Saturday afternoon, I left the shop cautiously, not knowing what to expect. Within two miles, my daughter & I were grinning ear-to-ear. The improvement in the ride was absolutely smoooooth.

On the way home, we had to cross over some railroad tracks. It was so smooth like the tracks weren’t even there. I hardly noticed until I heard my daughter behind me say, “Yessssss!” It was such an improvement!

Monday, I went to work on my scoot, and both going & returning was grinning from ear-to-ear. The bike tracks beautifully. My back doesn’t hurt. I found that I had been unconsciously “scrunching up” waiting to hit bumps with the old, stock Harley shocks. Now, I just sat back on my rejuvenated “Barkalounger.”

Is there a down-side to the installation? Yes. Now that the rear suspension tracks reliably, the improvement shows how flexible the stock front end is and how inferior the pre-2014 stock Harley design is. This is coming from one who was ecstatic when I changed from standard fork oil to Screaming Eagle fork oil several years ago. That means that tomorrow morning, I am ordering one of Howard’s 10 new Ohlins front ends. From what I’ve read by TJ316, the triple-trees are more substantial and grip the 2014 forks rigidly [yes, Howard's package requires those of us with older bikes to purchase the latest - and largest - forks], and the internals are Ohlins adjustable cartridges given Howard’s special treatment.

Do I expect to reset the damping & rebound in both front and back? Yes, once the shocks and cartridges are broken in, I expect to fine-tune them for me.

After the installation of the new front forks and before the “fine tune” date, I expect my old scoot will ride as smoothly as a 2014. If Howard and TJ316 can be believed [and they’ve proven reliable to date], I believe my 02 will ride better than a stock 2014 after the “fine tune.”

Are there any downside to this conversion? Yes, it’s the money. My rear shocks, delivered to my door, were, shall we say, “more than $1,200.” Howard has told me to expect his front fork assembly will run a bit more than $3,000. Let’s assume it costs me $1,000 to have a dealer or Indy install and do the initial tuning on the front end. That means I’d have about $5,000+ invested in my suspension but have a ride that is better than, or can not be distinguished from, a new $30,000 motorcycle, and I still have all those features I spent years of trial and error making it fit me.

So, for those who have followed TJ316's thread on the rebuild of his Roadie front end, you now have a second opinion. Flame away!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Wow, I am in the same boat as you, that 14 just grabs you. You had me sold until I read the cost of having to do the front. I couldn't justify putting that much cash in to my 8 year old bike with 55k miles unless I was replacing my engine.

Sounds like you got the ride your looking for without the front end upgrade. What is the drawback to leaving the front as is? Would you be satisfied with just the rear done? Even at that, $1200 is still a hunk of dough.

Great review, you got me thinking now, Lol.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a great review, got me thinking too. I am having a hard time with the thought of plunking down 30K on a new Harley, no matter how good they are. Pisses me off that they went up 3K in one year.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

seems like i read/heard somewhere that the rear shocks need to be re-built every 20-25k. what is the cost of that, and how long will it take to remove, ship, re-build, and reinstall? will you have to go thru the whole installation/set-up again? i would imagine that the front end is also going to require rebuilding every couple of years. once again, how long will your bike be setting on the jack waiting for the re-built unit?

after a few re-builds, you may have spent more than what the initial cost was. the harley premium shocks(bought from a discount dealer) and a drop-in cartridge kit looks more realistic to me. it would be a big improvement over the stock ride at a reasonable price. you have a 12 year old motorcycle whose trade-in value is not worth a lot more than what you are spending for your new suspension...it is indeed your money and you can spend it as you wish. i just do not see a lot of people spending that kind of money for suspension upgrades. enjoy that cadillac ride, while i am bouncing around in my old ford!!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Douf
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Wow, I am in the same boat as you, that 14 just grabs you. You had me sold until I read the cost of having to do the front. I couldn't justify putting that much cash in to my 8 year old bike with 55k miles unless I was replacing my engine.
The stock suspension is so poor that almost anything will give you a better handling/riding bike. The Progressive 944 shocks, fork monotubes and touring link installed on my Road King completely transformed the bike. As good as Ohlins? Doubtful, but a worthwhile upgrade for ~$900 total.

Douf

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't know if I would put a $5k+ motor let alone suspension on a 12 yr old bike.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So many more improvements than just the suspension on the '14's. If I were to make the choice, I would sell my current for the maximum and buy new at the end of the season. $5K in suspension components on a 12 yr old frame is questionable.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM
BIGRED1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, I bought a '12 SG and the suspension sucks compared to my '95 Ultra.
I did upgrade the front end with the help of Jason at Wards Part Werks. While it was apart, I changed the cans and put chrome lowers on her as well as new springs that work for my weight. That made a huge difference in the ride. About $1000.
NOW, I need to do the rear shocks, I have read so many posts on them that I cant decide. I guess it will be the $ that make my decision.
Good write-up man. That info on the rear helps, thanks!!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

:
Originally Posted by Douf
The stock suspension is so poor that almost anything will give you a better handling/riding bike. The Progressive 944 shocks, fork monotubes and touring link installed on my Road King completely transformed the bike. As good as Ohlins? Doubtful, but a worthwhile upgrade for ~$900 total.

Douf

I have no doubt that Howard's setup is superior, but it comes at big cost; so for now I'm very happy with the $1000 I have tied up in the Progressive 944, monotubes and touring link.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Hukamosh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"after a few re-builds, you may have spent more than what the initial cost was. the harley premium shocks(bought from a discount dealer) and a drop-in cartridge kit looks more realistic to me."

You have to rebuild/service the stock shocks as well, it's just that most don't do it. You would most likely just need fluid and recharge service which should not be too much and should be able to be done locally.
I don't think I'd go top of the line but maybe the ohlins 3-3 rears (around $1000 and superior to Progressive) and couldn't you get CCE triples trees for 41" front end and do springs and shims until you get where you want to be at less cost? I think the ohlins front is a cartridge.

Last edited by Hukamosh; 04-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm Shocked!