Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutdown procedure?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
On a side note...

Does anyone, when riding with a couple good friends, reach over and hit your buddies kill switch as a red light turns green?

Such a hoot! Riding away as he blocks traffic, and gets left behind.
It happened to me once. He will never do it again. Just a jackass move as I sat in the middle lane of a 50mph road at a green light wondering why I stalled. He turned my ignition switch off, not the kill switch.I was talking to a friend on my left side when the joker on my right reached over. I never saw it and was lucky to figure it out before I got rear ended. If you think it's a hoot, well, you figure it out.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:32 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
here is the reason to use the ignition switch:

If the kill switch is used, the TPS sensor may be getting input from the right hand- it is not "zero'd"

when restarted the motor may surge to about 1800 rpms and settle at a 1400 rpm idle.

the TPS is reset by cycling the ignition switch 4 times...on...wait for fuel pump to prime...off repeat.

My 09 is particularly sensitive to this, I am trying to train myself to use my right hand to turn off the switch...old habits die hard though

( both the kill switch and the ignition switch de-energize the system relay)

Mike
This is 100% correct and was terrible on 08s and 09s. 10 and up to a lesser degree but not totally 100% reliable to use the kill switch.

Anyone with drive by wire really should train themselves to use the ignition switch as opposed to the kill switch for this reason.... having the TPS NOT at zero causes issues folks whine about on here and it is such a simple fix, too.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm just lazy, so I just use the ignition switch.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I would just about guarantee the real reason behind HD recommending to use the kill button on the bars first is so that the operator does NOT take his or her hands off the handlebar controls to use the ignition switch until the engine is off.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Really? There's a "shut down" procedure?
I just reach over and turn the damn thing off with the ignition switch. Sheesh.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my first new Ultra in '02, the sales and service department insisted that the bike be shut down with the kill-switch first, then the ignition. Twice I brain-faded and both times I got an error code. First time, I took it in and they reset it. Second time, I found out that this error code will turn off after so many ignition cycles.

With so many people saying they don't use the kill-switch, Harley must have removed the error-code feature since 2002 models. My '10 owner's manual is specific in the shut-down procedure, and states to use the kill-switch.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

You had to use the kill switch on the big twins earlier than about 92. The ignition switch sequence was Off / Run / Run-with-lights.

If the bike was running when you went between Run-with-lights and Run, the coil would momentarily lose charge in between and suddenly get power again as the switch fell into the next Run position. If you timed it wrong, you could load up the intake with unburned fuel on a dead cycle and get a pretty good bang out of the carburetor when the spark hit.

It happened to me a few times riding at dusk and switching from Run to Run-with-lights on the fly. For me it was just a bang, but I heard if you were unlucky enough you could end up with a little fire around the breather until the fuel burned off.

Now I use the kill switch out of habbit. Works like a charm.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i will use either when i shut down, but really does it matter? if you do the same thing over and over then there shouldnt be a question

Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM
biker_ded
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried not to get in the habit of using the kill switch after observing so many people using it when they parked. I don't know how many people I've had to respond with "Hey, buddy, your lights are still on" (didn't shut off ignition switch)!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

On these bikes we have a engine stop switch very conveniently and ergonomically located on the hand control. Maybe thanks to poopeating lawyers.

Think about an emergency situation where your throttle is sticking wide open and your bike is quite a handful at the moment, you simply and quickly swipe the switch off with your thumb. NOW if you are used to using the main switch located on the tank or steering stem area and are used to or conditioned to using this you have to take your hands off the bars to shut it off from habit.

Which method is really safer ???

I know, I know all you main switch users are not average people and you will certainly have the clear thoughts in a emergency to now use the handlebar switch, but most of us mere mortals will not think as well as you so we are better to condition/train ourselves to use the handlebar switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shutdown procedure?