Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutdown procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Fillykonk
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shutdown procedure?

Since getting my 13 RK about a year ago I have been shutting it down as per manual's recommendation: using the "kill" switch instead of the ignition. A buddy who has an 08 Ultra told me that his dealership told him to leave the "kill" switch alone and use ignition only as the less-durable switch is subject to premature failure. Anyone else hear this before but if not curious to know how are you shutting the bike down?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

We need to tell you to do it like the lawyers made it...Then when they are not looking, do it like you want to. Thats a silly statement about the switch. However since mine only gets used when I loan it to my son, it ought to last a lifetime. There is another silly switch just like it on the starter, so you may want that dealer to put a kick starter on yours just in case...HA

Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Fillykonk
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was kind of strange too. I never use the kill switch on my metric v-twin and was surprised that the HD manual recommended it. I guess I'll try to "reprogram" my habit to get by without it though.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i use the kill switch whenever im leaving it in gear when i park. that way theres no chance i might accidently let out the clutch while the kickstands down, lol

Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the kill switch for years. I don't see where it really matters one way or the other.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
RIGlide09
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is that they recommend the kill switch to ensure it works. If the switch never gets used, the contacts can corrode and not work if used in an emergency.

Kind of like why its good to use the door locks on your vehicle every once and a while vs the key fob. If you never use it and the battery dies, if your lock is corroded and doesn't work (issue in the northern states) you cant enter your vehicle.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Miccara
Advanced

Had my last Harley for ten years. Only used the kill switch to shut it down. Never broke the switch, never failed, and never had to replace it. Nor by the way, have I ever heard any of my buddies ever having to fix theirs.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Well, if you use the kill switch then you still have to turn off the ignition switch. Why not just turn off the ignition switch? Works for me.

The following users liked this post:
Maurice1 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Miccara
Advanced

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Well, if you use the kill switch then you still have to turn off the ignition switch. Why not just turn off the ignition switch? Works for me.

Although I do not remember the exact reason given to me years ago, an electrician buddy of mine explained that it's the difference between turning a lamp off by using the switch, as compared to yanking the cord out of the wall. There is some valid electrical reason for using the switch. Maybe someone here can explain...

Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had ignition switches on the oil tank, below the seat and on the steering neck. Cutting them off with the engine cut off switch while my hand is already there on the right hand grip made sense. It's convenient with touring HD's that the ignition is right there in front of you. Had an 08 road king that had to be cut off with ignitions switch to keep high rev down until they did the patch.

Quick Reply: Shutdown procedure?