Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To 21 or Not to 21 That Is The Question

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
BadDadFLTR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To 21 or Not to 21 That Is The Question

OK here goes, I have a condition that my freinds and family call "Cant Leave **** ALONE Syndrome"

I need to replace the front Dunlop on my 2007 Road Glide due to some major cupping. I can easily get a season out of the tread on the tire just cant stand the vibrations. last season I replaced my rear with a Commander II and love it. On my RG I have upgraded to an 18" front wheel and Brembo brakes from a 2010.

Last week I received the 18" front Commander II and as it sits here in my cube at the office I am saying myself "Why did I buy a 18" and not look to upgrade to a 21"

So my question is Should I upgrade to a 21" (witch also means new fender because I have a wrap on my 18" now) or just mouth the new tire I have and ride it....

Thanks for reading

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDadFLTR
"Cant Leave **** ALONE Syndrome"
I think you just said it yourself. It's not a need but, a want. I am in the same boat but, its not for changing front tire but, rather engine performance. I have considered 107-124ci engines. Its a disease and our passion/ addiction. Since you already have the new front tire mounting that and just ride for now... The itch will continue to be there, its just a matter if you are gonna scratch it.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser

personal opinion. cannot stand the big wheels. they may grow on me but i would never replace a fatter front rire for a tall skinny one. dont like the look of em and cant say too much on the ride bc i never ridden one but i can only imagine what its like when your really riding hard. do not wanna shoot you down if your hopes are up brotha, but imagine hitting a pothole with a 21 inch wheel. low profile i assume.. if its big enough it will not be a good day for that rim. if thats your glide in the pic, it looks radical as is..

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 AM
ElGigante
Tourer

I wanted a 21 at first, now I got a 23 and am trying to figure out how to get a 26 approved by the wife :-p

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

"Cant Leave **** ALONE Syndrome"
I have the same thing lol! I agree with above post since you have the tire already I would just ride for now. your RG looks awesome as is.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a serious case of "Cant Leave **** ALONE Syndrome" and found a nice used 21 at tire replacement time. I like the look but it is no performance/handling upgrade. Since ya already got a new tire I'd recommend some Calamine lotion and see if it clears up??

Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM
BadDadFLTR
Cruiser

I said the same thing, I have the new tire here and should just mount it.... Save money and maybe buy my girl a ring.....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Seeing as I talked to you on a another forum you probably know my opinion but I'll post it anyway.

First off, there are a lot of differing opinions on 21" wheels. How do I know whose opinion to trust on this on the internet? I don't. The only way to know for sure is to make the change and see what YOU think.

I spend hours helping people make this decision daily. My opinion is that a 21" wheel rides great...better than stock for me. Of course being a sales guy most people discount what I say. I have no stake in this either way but I do actually ride a Harley (FLTRX) unlike many out there and do have a 21" wheel on it. I ride A LOT. That means daily so I feel that my experience with things is probably more pronounced than most as not nearly everyone puts 25K on their bike each year.

This also means that I adapt to things quicker than people who do not ride as much. So take it for what it is worth, but if you are looking to increase the looks of your bike with a 21" wheel, rotor, and tire combo there is nothing to be afraid of. The bike will sit a little bit higher in the front than at stock height (about 1-1.25"). I am not a tall guy (5'9") and had no issue with this at all. I did not lower the front end but rather put in stock height mono tubes and love the way this bike rides.

I have had no ill effects as the result of this swap. I chose the Michelin Commander II tire in a 120/70/21 size. The bike rides great. I prefer the 120 tire to the stock 130 as the bike falls into corners much easier with this tire, not to mention the compound absorbs inconsistencies in the road much better than the stock Dunlop which was cracking on the side wall after only a few thousand miles.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it. All I know is if I listened to everything people told me and followed their rules my entire life I would not have a motorcycle much less be thinking about getting a 21" wheel for it. Thus I have learned to trust my own gut more than "some guy on the internet's opinion" as I know what I want and know that everyone has their own opinion. Last but not least it seems I could also be categorized as "some guy on the internet".

Last edited by Hogpro; 04-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
BadDadFLTR
Cruiser

I do love the look of a 21 on our bikes and think its near perfect. I just need to justify spending $1500 on a wheel, tire & rotor combo. I think it would move my bike to the next notch.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

PUt the 18 on. In a couple years the Big Wheels will fade as a fad (like OC Choppers) and you will want to go back to the more traditional look

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To 21 or Not to 21 That Is The Question