Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins S36E shocks intalled

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohlins S36E shocks installed

So I recently started taking my girlfriend on rides and it was apparent that even though she weighs maybe 120 lbs, the added weight caused us to bottom out on a few spots. I tried adding air to the stock shocks but we still ran into problems.

I try and make it a point to support venders from the site whenever I can and I did research shocks, read numerous posts on here and even talked to a couple of other members and decided on purchasing Ohlins S36E shocks.

I contacted Fuel Moto and all I can say is WOW~! From my initial email to them to this morning (post install and ride) I have had nothing but great communication. Jamie at Fuel Moto answered all my questions and made sure that my set up was going to fit my needs. After I placed my order, I patiently (yeah right! lol) waited for them to arrive. They arrived and the install was straight forward and easy, but the real test was going to see if she like the ride.

We went for a nice ride last evening and there is one set of railroad tracks that we seemed to always bottom out on no matter how slow and even when it is just me on the bike. Last night we went over and nothing~! I even took it a little faster on our way back and still nothing. The ride was a lot smoother than normal.

The ONLY thing she had to say was "Mike, what excuse am I going to use to hold on tight to you?" lol baby, you don't need an excuse, just hop on and let's ride!!!!!!

Thanks to Ohlins for an awesome product, to Fuel Moto for awesome service, and personally to Jamie, for the great communication. Y'all are all right in my book~!

Last edited by MIKEKIM; 04-24-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: because I can't spell, lol
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, really debating on getting these myself. Maybe its finally time to treat my 03 to some nice suspension.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my stock air shocks with Ohlins last year and never looked back. Like you said no more 2-up bottom out and over all better ride.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing. My wife an I are 375 lbs combined and I've been playing with the air pressure and still can't get a decent ride. These are pretty expensive; is there an appreciable improvement in most conditions? Handling? If the girlfriend noticed a difference than they must be an improvement. Can't tell you how many changes I've made to the scoot and wife says...where? and... How much did that cost??

Old 04-24-2014, 02:39 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEKIM
So I recently started taking my girlfriend on rides and it was apparent that even though she weighs maybe 120 lbs, the added weight caused us to bottom out on a few spots. I tried adding air to the stock shocks but we still ran into problems.

I try and make it a point to support venders from the site whenever I can and I did research shocks, read numerous posts on here and even talked to a couple of other members and decided on purchasing Ohlins S36E shocks.

I contacted Fuel Moto and all I can say is WOW~! From my initial email to them to this morning (post install and ride) I have had nothing but great communication. Jamie at Fuel Moto answered all my questions and made sure that my set up was going to fit my needs. After I placed my order, I patiently (yeah right! lol) waited for them to arrive. They arrived and the install was straight forward and easy, but the real test was going to see if she like the ride.

We went for a nice ride last evening and there is one set of railroad tracks that we seemed to always bottom out on no matter how slow and even when it is just me on the bike. Last night we went over and nothing~! I even took it a little faster on our way back and still nothing. The ride was a lot smoother than normal.

The ONLY thing she had to say was "Mike, what excuse am I going to use to hold on tight to you?" lol baby, you don't need an excuse, just hop on and let's ride!!!!!!

Thanks to Ohlins for an awesome product, to Fuel Moto for awesome service, and personally to Jamie, for the great communication. Y'all are all right in my book~!
Thank you for the great feedback and support!

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you change the preload for solo and 2-up? Or is most of your riding 2-up so you leave it alone?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tucker99
I've been wondering the same thing. My wife an I are 375 lbs combined and I've been playing with the air pressure and still can't get a decent ride. These are pretty expensive; is there an appreciable improvement in most conditions? Handling? If the girlfriend noticed a difference than they must be an improvement. Can't tell you how many changes I've made to the scoot and wife says...where? and... How much did that cost??
Tucker99, my girl and I weigh in together around your conbined weight also and she said ther ewas a noticable difference. I can definately feel a difference as well. Very glade I purchased them. I kept my stock shocks t oput back on when i go to sell or trade the bike in. THis is one upgrade that will follow me to the next bike for sure.

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Do you change the preload for solo and 2-up? Or is most of your riding 2-up so you leave it alone?
Redbeard, I do not change the preload whe nI am riding solo and honestly the ride is not bad at all. The guys at Fuel Moto did a great job tuning them in for me but in the event that my riding changes or I add a touring pack on, I will contact them and have them adjusted.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

You bought the very best shocks for the money available, bar none. Too many guys don't consider the emulsion Ohlins and dismiss them as "not as good" as the units with the clickers and piston separator.. If the shocks were hidden from view and no disclosure of model fitted, I guarantee only 1 rider in a 100, heck maybe 1 in a 1000, could tell the difference between the 2 and actually identify which shocks are fitted.

Only a riders ego is needing the D versions at nearly $300 more or God forbid the remote reservoir versions at over $1500. If you are flush with cash, rock on, but they are not needed in almost every case.