Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I by pass the Dyno tuners, all say the other guy is no good...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Kicks
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I by pass the Dyno tuners, all say the other guy is no good...

I am right at doing a stage one and even stage 2 (cams) so I have pretty much talked to 4 different dyno tuners before choosing my tuner.
Power Vision, TTS and Thundermax.

Usually the dyno tuners work with one of the ECM's they have the software for and that they like the best hense talking to a few.

Anyway, each one of the tuners had nothing nice about the others. I mean it. "Everyone" of them didn't like the exhaust selection's I made (none were unusual) said the other tuners were wrong in what they told me and all of them tried to get me to purchase their parts that they sold.
WHAT A CROCK!!! I

Now I'm standing here not knowing which way to go.
I am stuck between 2 different exhaust set ups and can't dyno myself.

I know a dyno tune is the best. What can I do to bypass them all and do it myself?? Is the thundermax the answer?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

TTS, Powervision, et al let you tune it yourself. There's also downloadable maps.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did an autotune (Tmax in this case) so I didn't have to mess with it. I wasn't looking for top hp numbers anyway. I do believe in dyno tuning however but primarily not to leave 1-2hp on the table vs. an auto tuner.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

tts and power vision are the best two IMO.

But we want to know what exhaust you picked.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It would also help to have the make, model and year of the bike, along with any modifications. Unless 06 back, TMax sucks.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-27-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autotune is a myth...gets you in the ballpark...for a homerun you need it dynoed. I went to a guy that can tune anything, therefore no angst. Pick the exhaust you like, your not competing against anyone. I like the CFR pipe but all good tuners say they leave some hp on the table. Pick the tuner you feel most comfortable with, then look for a very good dyno guy that makes few neg comments but can tune extremely well.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

As far as the opinions you are getting about the other guy being no good, heres why: Mechanics think very highly of themselves, and dont like to be told something they didnt know. There ARE those that command their high opinions because they have walked the long road of experience and earned that right, then therye the backyard mechanics who think they are entitled to the same, sorry but those guys need to be quiet and walk the long road first. Ive been a shop supervisor for over 25 years and seen it all.
Another thing to look at is if you go to different indy shops, and almost with absolute certainty they will all have their ways of doing things and use only certain products. Ive had a guy tell me my supertrapp pipes and MVA heads were junk and thunder header was the chit, and reworked stock heads put out more power. Others swore by Screaming Eagle parts, Feuling, roller rockers or cast, forged or cast the list goes on.
It all depends how much koolaid you want to drink, IMO who cares if it 10-15 less hp than a guy across the country, as long as it will last and take a beating thats what its all about really!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Kicks
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10-4.

Exhaust choices are Sinister Up Yours or Vance Hines dresser (true duals) with the CFR mufflers.

This is where the proper tune comes in. EVERY ONE (dyno tuners) warns against these and they are very popular!!

They only use one tuner, the one they have the software for and sell that ECM.

I'd like to kick them all off to the side but again, dyno tuning is the way to dial it in the best but I can't find anyone who says they are for it and not try to sway me in another direction.

The tuners I am talking about without mentioning names are all on this site then some. The go to guys, every one of them tried to get me to purchase their items not saying it would be no problem to tune with what ever components "I" want.

I can't be the only one with this problem...

Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Many guys are afraid that if you get lower than expected numbers you will blame them. And call them out on this forum. Yes even when they warn you that your exhaust choice sucks, LOL. Go out and buy whatever exhaust you want, install it yourself and don't bitch.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Many guys are afraid that if you get lower than expected numbers you will blame them. And call them out on this forum. Yes even when they warn you that your exhaust choice sucks, LOL. Go out and buy whatever exhaust you want, install it yourself and don't bitch.
Ive even seen where they will inflate the numbers to alleviate complaints

Quick Reply: How can I by pass the Dyno tuners, all say the other guy is no good...