Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Idle Speed - '99 FLHRCI

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 AM
troverman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low Idle Speed - '99 FLHRCI

It seems as though my MM-injected Road King Classic has a low idle. I have no way to determine what the idle speed actually is, but it sounds too low, and also the engine shakes pretty hard at warm idle despite the front mount appearing to be good.

Idle speed seems to be controlled electronically by the idle valve solenoid behind the air cleaner, yet I believe on this model is not adjustable by the user?

When it starts cold, it usually idles higher for a minute or two, then settles into the "too low" idle. Recently, my throttle cable snapped and I ended up fooling with the idle valve (engine off) to try and trick the engine into a high idle to limp home at slow speed. Now, occasionally, the engine will attempt to start, die, and partially backfire, releasing exhaust smoke out the air cleaner.

Do I need to take it to the dealer and have then check (and can they set) idle speed? Otherwise, the bike runs quite well once out on the road. It has had the low idle since I bought it used.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This was what I did last time I had an issue...found doing a search on here. Here is the theard as well;

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...li-mm-efi.html

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. This is a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw (in linkage, on the side that rotates with the throttle plates) in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out (therefore, set cold idle speed at 1200 rpm for TC-88's)It's that easy . Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle (in the throttle body, forward of the front intake, near the bottom) up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse (in the fuse holder on the ECM brackett), run a lead from the cold (relay) side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000. Works like a charm.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM
troverman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FrogPrince,

Thanks a lot, if this works, I'll be thrilled. I'll try and adjust it later.