Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no brake light, no cruise related to rear brake switch recall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts
Default no brake light, no cruise related to rear brake switch recall?

Update: Had Rear brake switch replaced under the recall. Now brake lights and cruise control work. The switch was the problem.
Could the rear brake switch cause the front brake handle to not activate the brake light either? I just install a TTS tuner last weekend on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra with ABS. Rode a 100 miles or so and everything worked no ck engine light. All was good. Rode today got about 10 miles and right after the low fuel lite came on the ck engine light popped on. Stopped and got gas. Ck'd the oil level. It was normal. Started back ridding and the light went off, rode about 20 miles and it came back on.
Got home and checked the error code, P0572 Brake switch low error under ECM/TSSM. Found no other error codes. No brake light from front or rear. I checked the brake and accessory fuses both good, Both brakes work ok. Tried out the cruise it comes on red but wont set to green. Checked for open recalls on the bike,
0145: RCL:2009-2012 BRAKE SWITCH RCL came up. looked at the rear brake switch and sure enough was never done. Could that have failed and be causing my problems or do I start looking elsewhere?

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 05-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd say electrical.

The recall was because of bad materials, or wrong materials, that the exhaust could cause to fail and leak fluid from the rear mc.

...or something along those lines...

If it has not been done, however, I would take it and have it done, never hurt to start there.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Could the rear brake switch cause the front brake handle to not activate the brake light either? I just install a TTS tuner last weekend on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra with ABS. Rode a 100 miles or so and everything worked no ck engine light. All was good. Rode today got about 10 miles and right after the low fuel lite came on the ck engine light popped on. Stopped and got gas. Ck'd the oil level. It was normal. Started back ridding and the light went off, rode about 20 miles and it came back on.
Got home and checked the error code, P0572 Brake switch low error under ECM/TSSM. Found no other error codes. No brake light from front or rear. I checked the brake and accessory fuses both good, Both brakes work ok. Tried out the cruise it comes on red but wont set to green. Checked for open recalls on the bike,
0145: RCL:2009-2012 BRAKE SWITCH RCL came up. looked at the rear brake switch and sure enough was never done. Could that have failed and be causing my problems or do I start looking elsewhere?
Short answer NO

I believe there is also a brake switch relay.

You can also run the cruise diagnostic to check the brake switches.
#s 7 & 8 below will check you brake switches.

1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red

Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Short answer NO

I believe there is also a brake switch relay.

You can also run the cruise diagnostic to check the brake switches.
#s 7 & 8 below will check you brake switches.

1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red
I just tried this I don't get past step #4 With cruise switch on I turn on the bike the lite turns green. I release the set switch and the light stays green. none of the other test work cause the lite stays green.
There is a brake switch relay. Its the same as system and start relays. I swapped them around but still no Brake lights from front or rear brakes. so I don't think that's bad.
I wonder if the TTS tuner did something to the ECM. I might re flash the original tune to the bike and see if it does anything. Hard to figure it'd be the tune installed. I got it from Fullsac and have his complete exhaust setup. Can't ride without brake lights. lucky I didn't get rear ended before I discovered this.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the recall has never been done, then YES that is your problem.

Get it done ASAP!

Had similar issue on my bike right after recall came out: cruise control non-operational, no brake lights (sometimes). Talked to dealer about it, they said that as long as brakes working fine, they'd put me on the schedule but that I could keep riding. Was riding home a day or so later & rear brake failed completely. Needless to say, it was the part indicated in the recall that had failed.

If you're at the point where your cruise and brake lights are non-op, the part is getting ready to fail catastrophically. Get it fixed.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just tried this I don't get past step #4 With cruise switch on I turn on the bike the lite turns green. I release the set switch and the light stays green. none of the other test work cause the lite stays green.
There is a brake switch relay. Its the same as system and start relays. I swapped them around but still no Brake lights from front or rear brakes. so I don't think that's bad.
I wonder if the TTS tuner did something to the ECM. I might re flash the original tune to the bike and see if it does anything. Hard to figure it'd be the tune installed. I got it from Fullsac and have his complete exhaust setup. Can't ride without brake lights. lucky I didn't get rear ended before I discovered this.
The failure at step 4 usually indicates that a switch is stuck ON. Can you hear the relay click?
If the relay is not clicking unplug the leads to the rear switch to eliminate it.
And try the diagnostic again.

Last edited by vzts4q; 05-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

I can't hear a relay click. But when I unhook the rear brake switch. THe set/resume, Front brake and clutch switches all change the light from red to green. Sounds like the rear switch is definitely bad. Made an appointment to go to the dealer to have the recall done. Hope it solves my issues.
Will the TTS tuner cause the digital technician problems seeing the ecm when bleeding the rear brakes?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

After unhooking the rear brake switch, my front bake switch activates the brake lights. that will work till I get to the dealer for service. Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I sure appreciate it and will update this thread once the service is completed. Thanks, HMT

Old 07-20-2019, 02:00 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

@heavymetalthunder ,having a similar issue, you still around to update this?

Old 07-20-2019, 04:19 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Yea, I had a bad rear brake switch. I got it replaced under the recall for the rear brake switch. Never had a problem after that. Hope this helps. Take care. HMT

Quick Reply: no brake light, no cruise related to rear brake switch recall?