Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get ignition lock back in

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
harley7316
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default cant get ignition lock back in

Well went to change fork oil and could not break free those star fork sliders drain bolts tried everything and they wont move and started to strip so by now i said screw it and went to put everything back together and will try some other time as now the one drain bolt is stripped.Would like to meet the harley engineer that came up with those instead of allen bolt anything is better than star or as we call them phillips.Now problem i cant get ignition lock back in. The forks were locked when i took switch out and now they are not locked.I stuck a screw driver in and can here a click when i turn the screw driver problems is no matter which way i go and how many clicks i go in both directions i cant get the forks to lock postion to get ignition switch back in.Any help would be great as i been trying this for 2 hours already.Need a beer thanks in advance

Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Using a screwdriver you can think you have it right but there is a deeper cog that also has to line up. Make sure the whole lockset is turned to same position or it wont work. The tool the guy sells on here is a true time and headache saver

Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Above should help with ignition.

Keep in mind a lot of the torx bolts Harley uses are actually Torx Plus. They are slightly larger and a standard torx that appears to be the right size will strip them easily .

Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM
harley7316
Road Captain

Well i have watched the video i had the lock in lock position had the key in pressed little tang under lock while turning lock counter clockwise lock came out no problem forks were locked but somehow they ended up unlocking and when i stick screw driver in i can turn and here the click but i cant seem to find lock position to get forks locked so i can stick ignition assembly back in will have try again just dont have it in me now a little pissed

Old 05-09-2014, 08:13 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harley7316
Well i have watched the video i had the lock in lock position had the key in pressed little tang under lock while turning lock counter clockwise lock came out no problem forks were locked but somehow they ended up unlocking and when i stick screw driver in i can turn and here the click but i cant seem to find lock position to get forks locked so i can stick ignition assembly back in will have try again just dont have it in me now a little pissed

I've been there before. With a screwdriver it does takes some patience as everything needs to line up which can be a pain. Hang in there and come back to it later and you'll get it...

Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

That's not a star bolt at the bottom of the slider.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM
harley7316
Road Captain

Well had a few beers went back at it finally got it.Looked at the stripped fork drain screw and said another time.Thanks for the help guys

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Keep trying use a flash light to see if everything lined up. Turn handle bars to left turn ignition in lock position then try lining up with screw driver or even by inserting the ignition all the way or half way to line it up. you will be surprise when all the sudden everything lines up and you get everything in working order.Walk away then go at it again stay calm don't rush.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by harley7316
Well had a few beers went back at it finally got it.Looked at the stripped fork drain screw and said another time.Thanks for the help guys
Cold drinks always work.

Quick Reply: cant get ignition lock back in