Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:57 PM
steve.13
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road king belt adjustment

not how i wanted to spend a Saturday,or any other day for that matter.last week belt popped went today and got belt,couple more trips out for tools i didnt have,,ok i am in the reconstruction stage have swing arm and tire and belt in place and checking..as i rotate tire forward belt travel seems fine but if i spin tire reverse belt rides all the way in on the primary and turning forward does not cause it to ride back out. if i "feed" the belt (screwdriver behind) as i turn forward it stays centered on sprocket ,,till i roll it reverse.and it seems to stay centered on wheel sprocket either way??at $250 plus tax,,i want to make sure this belt is perfect

Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Belt adjustment

You have the rear wheel off center causing your problem.Put a little slack in your belt and adjust wheel one side at a time untill condition is better or if unchanged,moved other side back.Once you get belt centered on pully adjust both sides evenly back untill belt has correct play.All belts will ride off center a slight bit when wheel turned in reverse.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

how much do ride in reverse?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
steve.13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ragtop
how much do ride in reverse?
not that i ride in reverse....but i was asking for help with a problem,which i thought the forum was for ,not smart *** answers to add to someones post quanta.the amount i turn the wheel in reverse is less then the revaluations it would make for me to back into a parking space once,, and on a normal day i would probably do twice.so in my book if you cant help,.keep your mouth shut rather than add a notch

Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM
steve.13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GTK
You have the rear wheel off center causing your problem.Put a little slack in your belt and adjust wheel one side at a time untill condition is better or if unchanged,moved other side back.Once you get belt centered on pully adjust both sides evenly back untill belt has correct play.All belts will ride off center a slight bit when wheel turned in reverse.
thanks,,will try in the morning,did not make sense to me ..why if belt is true and both pulleys are true why would belt run different in reverse?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by steve.13
not that i ride in reverse....but i was asking for help with a problem,which i thought the forum was for ,not smart *** answers to add to someones post quanta.the amount i turn the wheel in reverse is less then the revaluations it would make for me to back into a parking space once,, and on a normal day i would probably do twice.so in my book if you cant help,.keep your mouth shut rather than add a notch
The forum is a great source of information/help as well as entertainment. Take the good with the bad and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lesson for next time you take the rear wheel off, mark the position of the adjusting cams before you take it apart.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Originally Posted by steve.13
Hey; Lighten up n the guy, man. This is not your average forum. We mostly have thick skins here, and to hang with us, you gotta develop a thick skin yourself. We goof, we kid around & throw friendly insults at each other. We even occasionally post pics of the craps we take! If you wanna be serious (& bored to death) there are plenty of forums where they will love you, and one where you won't even hear words like gosh or darn! We'll let it slide THIS TIME since you're new hereLOL!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM
steve.13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
Lesson for next time you take the rear wheel off, mark the position of the adjusting cams before you take it apart.
thats the thing,the other belt broke ,so the adjuster cams were never moved.they went back on exactly like they came off.
should the rear of the engine be able to slide back and forth when the swing arm was out,at first could not understand why it would not fit back in,,then i pushed the whole motor over and realized it would slid back and forth

Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just throwing this out there..... Unless said bike has a ton of miles or picked up some serious debris, I'd be searching for the reason this belt gave up. Or perhaps you are discovering it right now....

Quick Reply: Road king belt adjustment