Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemets

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:58 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Hemets

I've always chosen to wear a helmet. For years I wore a variety of DOT half helmets. As I've gotten older, my own mortality dictates my decisions more and more and I started looking for better protection.

I've been wearing a Bell 500 3/4 helmet for a year or two. It's super comfortable, high quality, quiet and offers a decent amount of protection compared to the shorty half helmets I used to wear. It's also got a cool, old skool, '70's retro look. The issue is it's hot with no venting and no visor option for cold or wet weather.

I've recently been on the hunt for a new safe, comfortable, vented, light weight helmet with excellent peripheral and vertical vision, designed for a cruiser riding position that doesn't look like something from a buck Rogers movie.

That pretty much eliminates almost every modern full face helmet. Most restrict peripheral and vertical vision too much for me and are designed for a sport bike-like, leaned forward, riding position with styling that I don't care for.

The Bell Bullitt looked like a perfect candidate but didn't fit me properly. There literally was no room for my smaller than average sized ears. I can't understand how anyone can wear that helmet!

I then got a Biltwell Gringo full face retro helmet. It fits nicely and offers full face protection. It's cheap looking, noisy and the visor system is a PITA with prescription glasses. .

The next candidate is the Joe Rocket Carbon Pro 3/4 helmet. It's DOT and Snell M2010 rated, has venting, a good looking sealed visor, weighs only 3 lbs and has a modern yet classic style. I'll report back when I get it.

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you looked at HJC? I have a 3/4 with a visor and zip in neck/ear warmer and a FF from them, no regrets. They are not that expensive and mine have held up well over the years. Guess its about time to replace em,lol..

Old 05-18-2014, 05:20 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Have you checked out Bell's Pitboss or Drifter? Also the HD 1/2 with the flip down shield is worth a look...

Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Just picked up this....in matt black

http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-blade-helmet

Light weight, comfortable, vented, and less bulk then most DOT 3/4 helmets.

Cannot give you any ratings on noise because I haven't ridden with it yet but I don't foresee a problem behind my 8" LRS Flat Top shield.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Helmets are such a personal thing. Wife wears a HD modular and loves it I wear a HD 3/4 and have for years We both purchased new ones last year.
The HD Modular has a great field of view I have tried hers out and just may make the switch down the road.
Ours are fitted wit The Q3 Com system simply because it works better for our needs than the hard wired HD system.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Best wearing 3/4 for me is Gmax

Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Have you tried HJC IS33? Very comfortable and lightweight. Harley has same helmet with their name on it but higher cuz of name.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Have you tried HJC IS33? Very comfortable and lightweight. Harley has same helmet with their name on it but higher cuz of name.
I also highly recommend the HJC IS33. As stated above, exact same helmet with HD on it costs more.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

have had HJC's for years. They are hard to beat. The IS33 looks to be a winner.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:10 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one of these & there pretty nice with a pull down shield $135.00 Men’s Cross Roads 1/2 Helmet | Half | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Quick Reply: Hemets