Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory switch wiring Road King 2014

Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 AM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoRider
Davemc...what year and bike? Does the device power up with power on that third wire and you flip the switch. My instinct would say it works with that third wire to ground. I can give you some points maybe but need to know year and if we are looking for ground or power.
Thanks for the reply. 2014 Road King.

When I touch the third wire to the red battery terminal, the accessory powers up. Nothing happens when I touch the third wire to the black battery terminal. So that means I need power, not ground, right?

I'm thinking this might be what I need: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ion-update-kit

I can use one of those wires to connect to my third wire, right?.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Im not sure if the 2014 Road King is the same as the 2011, but on my 2011 there was an unused plug behind the headlight. I connected to that plug. It was powered when the ignition was on. It worked great, right up close to where I mounted my GPS. I attached a pic of what I bought to plug into the GPS, it says it is for Tom Tom but it worked on my Garmin and Magellan. If you google it you could probably find one specific to the unit you have.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 AM
ronnieg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having the same issue. I would like to make use of the accessory switch on my 2016 Road King. I have the up dated wire kit. Can plug my cig lighter in and get power. The accessory switch has no affect. would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thanks...

Old 10-23-2016, 02:07 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by josame
Im not sure if the 2014 Road King is the same as the 2011, but on my 2011 there was an unused plug behind the headlight. I connected to that plug. It was powered when the ignition was on. It worked great, right up close to where I mounted my GPS. I attached a pic of what I bought to plug into the GPS, it says it is for Tom Tom but it worked on my Garmin and Magellan. If you google it you could probably find one specific to the unit you have.

The following users liked this post:
ronnieg (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 03:49 PM
davemc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Well, the part I referenced above did supply the power I needed. Now the accessory powers up only when the ignition switch is "on" or turned to "accessory."

I was HOPING that I could control the accessory with the right toggle switch by the nacelle, but this harness does not provide that function. Oh well, it is working.

FWIW, I plugged the pigtail into the accessory connector under the left side cover, and I connected the violet/blue wire to my accessory.

The red/black has constant power, and the black wire on that pigtail is a ground.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:06 PM
16King
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RonnieG I have same bike. I'm installing Harley cig aux port 69200971 to handlebar and same problem. Did you figure it out? Works great when ign or acc is on but toggle switch on nacelle does nothing

Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Perhaps this will be helpful for you.
Incidentally, with regard to GPS, I utilized the unused fender tip light wire inside the headlight nacelle, right behind the headlight. Why not - it was convenient, switch on, it's on - switch off, it's off. Just pull the headlight, and there it is.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:49 AM
16King
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll snoop around thank you very much!

Old 11-10-2016, 03:40 PM
ronnieg
Advanced

Greetings from Nova Scotia
No luck at all yet. I bought PN69200722, plugged it in and works fine. Gets power when ignition switch is on but right side toggle switch has no affect.
Please keep me posted should you get the solution. I'm just parking mine for the winter.
Thanks.....

Old 11-10-2016, 03:44 PM
ronnieg
Advanced

When you say you "switch on, it's on...." Are you referring to the right toggle switch on the nacelle or the ignition switch? I'm trying to make use of the right side toggle switch. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accessory switch wiring Road King 2014