Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Ultra Stereo- Big Mistake

Old 03-31-2007, 12:19 AM
jjohnson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ultra Stereo- Big Mistake

I have a 1998 Ultra with a stereo # 76146-98. I have the tour pack off and the wires under the seat. Tonight, I had the seat off and the antenna wire dropped on to the positive side of the battery. It was there for approximately 5 seconds when I saw the smoke. Now my stereo will not power on or have a display when the ignition is turned on. I have checked the fuse block under the left cover and the fuses related to the stereo were good. I removed the fairing and inspected the wire harnesses and connectors and they look ok. The antenna wire that goes into the back of the stereo does not show any burning/melting. Any suggestions on what else I could check or if where I might get it repaired? Or is it possible to mount another non Harley stereo and splice the wires.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1998 Ultra Stereo- Big Mistake

http://www.harmanaudio.com/product_support/default.asp

Or call your dealership and ask them what do they recommend.

I think if you do find a service repair outlet, that it maybe costly. Then agian, it maybe a lot cheaper then going a complete new radio or upgrade (below).

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...-Radio-Kit.htm

Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

you've smoked it. plain and simple.... I've never seen the inside of a HD radio, but I've seen enough radios in my day to tell you that it probably isn't worth fixing. The foil from the antenna connector to the antenna coil on the board could be fried, the coil itself, any electrical component... you get my point.

You were due for an upgrade anyway... something that will play MP3 format CD's, XM or Siruis Sat radio.....

Hawg-Wired and Biketronics both make install kits to mount DIN mount Sony car audio head units on our bikes, and have the module to make the bar controls work with the new radio.

Personally I used a JVC radio in the Hawg Wired mounting kit ( bezel and cradle)
and skipped the bar controls. I was good to go for under 300 bucks.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

you've smoked it. plain and simple.... I've never seen the inside of a HD radio, but I've seen enough radios in my day to tell you that it probably isn't worth fixing. The foil from the antenna connector to the antenna coil on the board could be fried, the coil itself, any electrical component... you get my point.

You were due for an upgrade anyway... something that will play MP3 format CD's, XM or Siruis Sat radio.....

Hawg-Wired and Biketronics both make install kits to mount DIN mount Sony car audio head units on our bikes, and have the module to make the bar controls work with the new radio.

Personally I used a JVC radio in the Hawg Wired mounting kit ( bezel and cradle)
and skipped the bar controls. I was good to go for under 300 bucks.

< Message edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248 -- 3/31/2007 8:52:03 AM >
I think that the after market radio would be the way to go. Although if you got a friend with the similar radio maybe you could borrow his to make sure your wiring is still good.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
jackster007
Advanced

Biketronics could hook you up with an aftermarket stereo and an interface so you can still use your controls. I think the link is www.biketronics.com.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Number one you violated a very basic safety rule:Always disconnect the battery
before doing electrical work or when seat is removed.
But based on your description You will be buying a new radio.
Power from the battery has burned up the amplifier circuit at the very least.
New radio from HD is in the $1000 neighborhood ( perhaps a little less)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff

I sent you a PM with the numbers to call to get your radio fixed for around $150. Also, make sure that you ground the antenna before you send the radio out to be fixed.

Bob

Old 03-31-2007, 10:58 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

You said you have an Ultra. I don't know about the 98 but I think some of the CB components go thru the radio. I'd try Ebay for a replacement. I had trouble with my 97 and got one for $300. Still have it. That wasn't the problem..
Might try these guys too. They made/service the HD radios.
http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.php