Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 download & muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 download & muffler question

When I bought my bike new, I had the Stage I Air Cleaner Kit, Screamin' Eagle Performance Touring Slip-On Mufflers and the download done.

I'm thinking of maybe going to some slip-ons that would be a little louder. Is the download a one-time thing, or is it done every time the mufflers are changed out? Is the Harley download a generic one-seize-fits-all, or muffler brand and model specific?

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
When I bought my bike new, I had the Stage I Air Cleaner Kit, Screamin' Eagle Performance Touring Slip-On Mufflers and the download done.

I'm thinking of maybe going to some slip-ons that would be a little louder. Is the download a one-time thing, or is it done every time the mufflers are changed out? Is the Harley download a generic one-seize-fits-all, or muffler brand and model specific?

Thank you.
The HD download is a stage 1 (a/c & exhaust), one size fits all....

And, it's really only slightly better than OEM tune because it's EPA compliant.

If you're gonna be modding the bike and/or changing things around... get yourself a tuner now and do your own download flashing, and probably with much better MAPS than HD EPA compliant tunes.

My preference is a PowerVision from Fuelmoto and you will get support from both Fuelmoto and DynoJet...

Good luck, the modding bug has just hit you!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

If all you are doing is changing slip-ons, you don't need another download.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:26 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

All the dealer download does is add a bit across the board. It is by no stretch a tune.

It will work with any muffler.

If that is all you want to do, you're fine.

But I am also in the "buy yourself a tuner" camp.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide

Thank you.
It is generic, although they may have an updated one for you, but they are relatively expensive and close to worthless.

Here is an objective overview of the most popular options-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
03snake
Tourer

With new slip-ons you will still be running approx. 14.7 to 1 in closed loop (90% of riding), same as stock. IF you don't want to buy a tuner and get max available the other option would be FL-XiED-10's. It's not as good as a tuner would be but easily removable for service/warranty work. Your warranty is intact with a dealer Stage 1 with AC and pipes but not with a tune. You will run slightly richer and cooler in closed loop. I definitely noticed the heat reduction and lack of decal popping with them installed. Also would idle longer in traffic before the rear cylinder cuts out indicating lower operating TEMPS:

http://sales.nightrider.com/fl-xied-10.html

Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
It is generic, although they may have an updated one for you, but they are relatively expensive and close to worthless.
I totally agree, which is why I was hoping that if I only want to change out the mufflers to something a little more aggressive than what I have now, I wouldn't need another one.

I don't want to do anything major at all, so I'm not really interested in a tuner. I'm thinking of something like the Vance and Hines Twin Slash Round Slip-Ons, or similar. Just want something a little throatier.

But this does lead me another question: if I decided that I wanted to change out the entire exhaust, I'm assuming that would change things up a bit, where I would need a new download, correct? Or is an updated download only needed if I wanted to do other modifications?

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 05-30-2014 at 08:58 PM.