Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden vs. Baker

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Hayden vs. Baker

I've been running a Hayden primary adjuster in my '13 SG almost from the time I bought it. I was one of those that had on 1/4 inch of clearance until the chain ate into the shoe down to the rollers. The bike would crank over slow and the compensator would bang during hot starts.

Fast forward to yesterday when I installed the Baker Attitude. I also cleaned up the compensator that was fine since there was some rust colored debris on it. I liked the size and shape of the shoe and it seemed to turn over much smoother. Chain movement was set in the middle of their suggested free play at 3/4 inch.

Took it for a ride today and the biggest difference I noticed was much easier starting and no banging. Very happy with it.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I swapped out the Hayden which was fragmenting in my primary case (not good!) For the Baker and after this weekends road trip will be dropping the cover and adjusting it (if it needs it). That should put me at around 8k since I installed it. There's a lot of peace of mind having the Baker in there. Going to give the comp a looking over while I'm in there, its been relatively quit for the most part will the exception of some wear on the front gear stop (I dont know what they call it) which is normal.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I ran the Hayden for about 400 miles before I took it out. The primary chain was way tighter than it was stock. Haven't tried the Baker.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

What really sealed the deal was during a ride with a buddy a couple of weeks ago. His SG started effortlessly even while hot. I originally thought it was a flaw with the Power Commander but he's running the same thing. The only difference was that he is still running the stock adjuster.

The Hayden was still very tight compared to the adjustment recommended by Baker. I think softer springs and a longer shoe would make the Hayden a better product.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:26 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SavageChopper
What really sealed the deal was during a ride with a buddy a couple of weeks ago. His SG started effortlessly even while hot. I originally thought it was a flaw with the Power Commander but he's running the same thing. The only difference was that he is still running the stock adjuster.

The Hayden was still very tight compared to the adjustment recommended by Baker. I think softer springs and a longer shoe would make the Hayden a better product.
...I put a Hayden in my '05 RK and it was perfect. Chain had a 1/2" play when cold.

...Put a Hayden in my '13 EGC at 4800mi., chain was too tight at first with the Hayden unit, took out the stiffer, smaller center spring and got 1/2" play when cold. That was 1,000mi ago-so far, so good. Shifts smooth, easy to find neutral.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:12 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is my situation with Hayden: installed it last fall, got 1/4" clearance, with the noise expected. 1500 miles later, still noisy. Emailed Hayden, was told it's within spec. the 1/4" plus 1/16" after the groove worn in.

2 weeks ago, with ~ 2500 miles, the Hayden shoe broke, making a horrendous noise in the primary, luckily, I stopped within 5 miles. Put the OEM self adjusting unit back in. Pitched the M6.

Haven't made up my mind on the Baker unit yet. I'll just open the primary every 10k miles to check chain tension with the stock tensioner.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may be time for Hayden to reconsider their position.
Torque increased on recent engines but the primary transmission (chain) and mass to accelerate are kept constant.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i've had the baker in my bike for seven months now with no problems what so ever. no noise, good shifting and reduced my noisy primary somewhat.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SavageChopper
Chain movement was set in the middle of their suggested free play at 3/4 inch.
I assume this measurement is made at the top of the chain?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Just removed the OEM adjuster for a Baker. Foolproof.

Quick Reply: Hayden vs. Baker