Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM
scsuflyboy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch adjustment problem

I had a new clutch installed in my 98 road king. Just did 5000 mile service and clutch is dragging. When i start it moves forward with lever pulled in...same thing when running.bike freeps forward with lever pulled in...have turbed adjuster screw 1/2 and 3/4 turns and i have 1/16 free play in cable at lever. What am i doing wrong?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

For my 06, specs show 1/2 to 1 full turn and 1/16 to 1/8 play on the cable. Not sur if it will help, but try a full turn out, and 1/8" play and see if it helps.

My bike , when cold, always lurches forward on start up. But creeping forward while running is not the norm for me. I would play around with it with in the specs to see I you can find the sweet spot.

Also check to see if your lock nut is tightened correctly, and that the adjuster screw is not moving. One last thing, are you pulling your lever a few times to set it befor making your final play adjustment?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 454 Posts

If the clutch wasn't dragging before you did the service adjustment, I suspect you mis understood some of the steps and did something wrong. If it was dragging before, you should have taken it back to the one who installed the new clutch and let him see what is going on.

There is plenty of info in this forum and in youtube on Harley clutch adjustment procedures. You might check a few of those and see if you did everything they talk about.

One thing that fooled me a couple of times was believing the I had found the plunger contact point when I really just found a spot with burred threads. Now, after loosening the lock nut, I use a wrench handle to turn in the adjuster screw until I feel definite resistance, then unscrew it for a couple of turns, and turn it in again to certain resistance, then loosen again. Now the threads are smooth for the finger tight hunt for the contact point and then the adjustment. The book torque on the lock nut is not much and it is easy to way over tighten if you do it by what "feels about right". Use a torque wrench.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
If the clutch wasn't dragging before you did the service adjustment, I suspect you mis understood some of the steps and did something wrong. If it was dragging before, you should have taken it back to the one who installed the new clutch and let him see what is going on.

There is plenty of info in this forum and in youtube on Harley clutch adjustment procedures. You might check a few of those and see if you did everything they talk about.

One thing that fooled me a couple of times was believing the I had found the plunger contact point when I really just found a spot with burred threads. Now, after loosening the lock nut, I use a wrench handle to turn in the adjuster screw until I feel definite resistance, then unscrew it for a couple of turns, and turn it in again to certain resistance, then loosen again. Now the threads are smooth for the finger tight hunt for the contact point and then the adjustment. The book torque on the lock nut is not much and it is easy to way over tighten if you do it by what "feels about right". Use a torque wrench.
I think the comment on the actuator rod adjustment being off is spot on. Made the same mistake myself last year..

The following users liked this post:
Cfb (04-04-2017)