Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunging at steady throttle. HELP!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 PM
whatzleft
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lunging at steady throttle. HELP!

whats happening to my 04 ultra is it idles fine, runs fine as long as I'm in the throttle, but when just cruising, and holding the throttle steady, just to maintain speed, it gets herky-jerky. Like it's lunging.... it started about a month ago, and has got worse sense. Used to be when cold, it would lunge at steady throttle in second and third gear.... now it's happening in 4th and fifth. Once I crack open the throttle some, it does ok. I checked the coil, good. replaced wires, replaced plugs, and replaced fuel filter (ouch $90) Ride it... same thing! I'm at a loss for where to even go with this. Could it be the broken injector wire thing? Any input....I'm all ears. thanks

Also... I have heard from so many people that my problem is I'm too lean. Yes I am a little on the lean side, K&N filter, V&H slip ons, rest is bone stock. Been this way for 45k miles now, and never had a problem like this. I'm no expert, but I would have thought if it was too lean it would have reared it's ugly self long before now. Been told I need a tuner.... Sure a tuner would rid my somewhat lean condition, but I'm not sure it fixes the problem I have now. Spark plugs aren't showing that bad.... kinda whiteish/tan , and dry. I'm betting most all stock bikes run lean right out of the door, it's how they meet EPA standards.... Bike has always purred, just saying.
Bike has always purred, never no problems, always well kept.
Any input...much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My '11 Road King has similar symptoms for about 2.5 seasons. I know it's not in the map or tuning so I guess it's time to start throwing money at parts in hope to get it smooth under steady throttle.
What to start buying when there is no codes thrown?
Plug wires
Coil
Primary chain
Filter and regulator
Crank sensor
Throttle grip TBW deal
I rides like hell and it's to the point of getting a different bike all together.
Interesting to hear what others have to say about your unfortunate situation.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 PM
whatzleft
Cruiser

yeah a code would be nice! Will get expensive throwing money at it.... Everytime ya say HD it's a "Hundred Dolla!" lol

Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

I think you're describing surging. If you search for that you'll find all kinds of posts. Generally speaking it's a fuel issue. But it also could happen if riding in a gear too high for the speed/rpm.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Possible dirty injector or carb. Try fuel system cleaner like Techron. I pour a couple caps in every four or five fills. Can't hurt! JR

Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 AM
whatzleft
Cruiser

Yes surging would probably be the right word. Not riding in to high of gear, it does it in all gears. I can be cruisin along in 4th gear at 45-50 mph, and just hold the throttle steady to keep that speed and it "surges" does that in at any speed, any gear.

Tried running several tanks of injector cleaner, no help so far. I agree sounds like a fuel problem tho. Just kinda at a loss of what to look for now.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Lonnie LaFever
Intermediate

Have you checked the TPS?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM
scoobs
Tourer

Wonder if since the problem has been getting worse if your developing a intake leak, making the tune leaner...

Last edited by scoobs; 06-08-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM
whatzleft
Cruiser

been wondering about the TPS.... how do you go about checking that? Why don't I get some sort of code for this problem?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Pinhole in the fuel line in the tank...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lunging at steady throttle. HELP!