Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine pinging

Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engine pinging

Is it me or am experiencing more spark ping lately...i try to run good 92-93 octane..but this year the bike pings alot on the low end..anyone else having this issue?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

"low end"

describe, you may be below the "power band" the rpm range where the motor is more efficient/ too high a gear for what you are doing

mike

Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My bet is the gas you are buying has more ethanol in it. Ethanol will lean out the motor.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM
abingham
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack but since we are talking fuel as the result of ping... Ethanol bumps the octane so it that the correct choice High Octane with Ethonol or a lower octane without ethonol...

Also ?? on the low end... when I try to jump back on the gash when in to high of a gear when slowing down I get some ping and clanks etc... it that what you are refering two?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

octane rating is octane rating- whether lead, ethanol or whichever additive packages current or past.

wikipedia will be a better source if you want to read up- but octane does not mean "more power" higher octane allows the motor to be tuned for more power- allowing more advanced ignition timing and/ or higher compression ratios than otherwise.

octane is the ability of the fuel to resist combustion from compression ( like a diesel ) and better controlled burn rate in the combustion chamber

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Trak350
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My shark seems to have a little ping to her ever since I switched to AMS oil from Mobile 1. My plugs are mocha though. AZ only has 91 octane and I have tried Lucas booster and no change.

Last edited by Trak350; 06-09-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Ethanol adds octane and burns cooler....It's not the cause of your detonation. It's warmer out, which means the engine's running hotter. OP's bike is a 2005, and I'd bet he's got some crud in his combustion chambers (as a 9 year old bike will have) that's effectively bumped his compression ratio.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by abingham
Not to hijack but since we are talking fuel as the result of ping... Ethanol bumps the octane so it that the correct choice High Octane with Ethonol or a lower octane without ethonol...

Also ?? on the low end... when I try to jump back on the gash when in to high of a gear when slowing down I get some ping and clanks etc... it that what you are refering two?
Yes it does bump octane but it also leans out the fuel mixture. Generally a 10% mixture is not a problem but if you are getting a 15% to 20% mixture it can cause problems. I have seen it on my bike with more than one tank of gas. There are a few stations around here I avoid. Too much ethanol in the gas. Sunoco on the turnpike here in Pa in particular is a no go for my bike. Bike pings like crazy on a hot day burning that gas. Generally I do not ping at all.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chevron Techron seams to help with that problem get it @ the auto parts store or your Chevron Gas station

Old 06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
octane rating is octane rating- whether lead, ethanol or whichever additive packages current or past.

wikipedia will be a better source if you want to read up- but octane does not mean "more power" higher octane allows the motor to be tuned for more power- allowing more advanced ignition timing and/ or higher compression ratios than otherwise.

octane is the ability of the fuel to resist combustion from compression ( like a diesel ) and better controlled burn rate in the combustion chamber

mike
Exactly...well put

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine pinging