Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 States, 10 Days, 1 Road King

Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 48 States, 10 Days, 1 Road King

I recently completed an Ironbutt 48-10 with some buddies (3 on Gold Wings, 1 on a Victory Cross Country Tour). I was just looking at the IBA's website and it looks like my daughter (who rode as my passenger) and I may have been the first to do it on a Road King. Anybody know of anyone else that has? It does look like it's been done on a couple of Dynas (a Switchback and a Wide Glide) and on a Softail.

We kept a blog of our ride if anyone's interested: Ride Against Child Abuse 48-10.

I am in the process of going back and adding pictures and updating with extended versions of each day. I had remarkably little ability to take the time for a proper blog post during the ride.

I'm going to go ahead and add the video to the first post so it can be easily found by new visitors to the thread. My daughter made the video and, biased as I am, I think she did a great job.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 07-02-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add video link
Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't confirm or deny any of the other bikes used, but I saw the article in the local media and was very impressed! I just took my son on a 1,400 Mile ride a few weekends ago and he loved it, although I don't know if he would have lasted the full 48?

Can't wait to read the write up. Congrats.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, congrats. That is awesome! No way my daughters would last 10 miles.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, I'll have to read the blog. My wife and I are planning to do this next summer. Care to share your map?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Here's a link to a map on the HD Ride Planner. There were some deviations from this route, and this route includes (or should include) some deviations from what we had originally planned.

On the second day, we had planned to reach Vicksburg, but when we reached Pine Bluff, AR around midnight I decided it was prudent to stop for the night. A couple of the guys were still energized and decided to ride on to Mississippi. We caught up with them a couple days later in Kentucky.

On the last day we had some delays related to some mechanical problems with one of the bikes so we decided to go to Pendleton, OR instead of Ontario and on to the Boise area. That allowed us to reach our 48th state, Oregon, earlier but it meant a longer ride back to Utah the next day. We probably could have stuck with the original plan there but we made that decision to stay on the safe side. No regrets about that. I was surprised how pretty the ride was from Clarkston, WA out to Pendleton and from there down to about LeGrande. After that there wasn't much to look at until we got back to the mountains of Utah's Wasatch Front.

Here's the URL of the link: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/607027 I've noticed, however, that sometimes my changes don't "stick" for some reason, especially waypoints. This should give you a general idea, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 06-11-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add note about map irregularities.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 AM
silvam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That is impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Congrats...ain't no way I could do it with my arthritis....

Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome for you and your daughter and all for a good cause.

Did you do anything different for long saddle time comfort? Different underwear, monkey butt powered, airs hawk, etc...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Congrats!

Sure it was a blast. Ill man up and say that I properly could not do that task. (in 10 days)

You, your daughter, and the rest of the crew could sure tell some stories I'm sure deserve some bragging rights!

Cheers!

YB

Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your successful ride. I am planning a 49 state in 10 days. We are leaving on 6/21 and hopefully back by 7/1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 48 States, 10 Days, 1 Road King