Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crashed bike and got the estimate back, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default crashed bike and got the estimate back, couple questions

Long story short..... crashed bike, major parts needed are;
Front fender, gas tank, inner/outer fairing, engine guard, floor boards, new saddle bags, handle bars, front fork assembly, new mufflers + some other misc parts.

Took bike to dealer I bought from for estimate of repairs. Estimate came back right at $6700.... sounded a little cheap.

Dealer told me the estimate includes 20% off parts since I am in computer as a "20% off for life" customer....

2013 flhx midnight blue pearl

Was thinking about switching colors since I only need rear fender and 2 sideskirts, everything else is damaged and needs replaced anyway and insurance will cover it.

Dealer calls me back and says to go to a different color it would be another 1800$...... WTF.... no way 2 side skirts and a rear fender are $1800.

So then I got to thinking.... I pay insurance for a reason... why do they get my 20% discount..... on parts. They sure as he'll are not going to pass that savings along to me when they raise my rates due to a claim.... what if I was average Joe with no discount at the dealer? The estimate would have been 10,000.

Am I wrong to think that the dealer should turn in the retail cost estimate showing NO discounts to my insurance, and then let ME decide how I want to use the 20% on parts?

Or maybe I should take to another dealer who does not have me coded in the system as a 20% person and let them write the estimate for insurance.... then take to origin dealer and spend some bucks on upgrades?

Someone who has been thru this shed some light for me please....thanks all in advance!!!!

Confused..........

Last edited by Eagle240; 06-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct. The Dealer should not discount the parts on the Insurance estimate. But it would be up to them to decide whether or not to give you a Discount. With that said, sometimes on crash repairs customers want custom paint and make sacrifices on parts to get the paint covered. Are they ordering painted parts for you because they could get non painted parts instead

Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Insurance is obligated to get your bike to original condition, not to any $ amount except for your deductible.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Tell the dealer to give a non-discounted estimate, submit to insurance company, get check from insurance company, then have the dealer do the work with your 20% discount applied. The rest of the cash ( 20% ) towards your paint job.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

The estimate just shows ordering the factory midnight pearl parts.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

I just asked the dealer to order tequila sunrise parts I stead of midnight pearl parts, and he said when he called back " if we switch to orange it will cost another 1800$......"when I bought my bike it didn't matter what color I got..... All colors besides 2 tone were only a 500 option.... but now the tequila orange is 1800 more?? Hmm mm.

And why couldn't I just get the ins check and order the parts , get my 20% and do all the work myself....save a boat load of money.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 PM
rwb1
Tourer

If the dealer discounts the estimate to the insurance he is a fool....the dealer or any bodyshop makes money on the mark up...usually between 20-30%. The more the estimate=the more $$ the dealer makes.

The estimate sounds close as they are ordering pre-painted parts and bolting them on. I would go over that bike with a fine tooth comb and fix EVERY scratch on it.

Also, dont be afraid to get a 2nd opinion....my .02

Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking your bike is close to a total loss. It has been my experience that there is most always "hidden damage" when they tear it down. I suggest you also let your insurance company know that you expect diminished value before you settle. A bike that has been involved in an accident will never be worth what it would have been. I am not saying to try and take advantage of the insurance company, you need to be made whole again, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM
WalterM817
Tourer

The insurance company already has a discount percentage for repairs.
I had the copies of the quotes for repair of 2 Harleys at once one time and the checks came to me to be turned over to the dealer upon repair of the bikes. Trust me the amount on the check isn't whats on the quote.
Your discount may mean something if you were paying but the insurance companies hammer the dealer on the deal.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

If the Insurance company is paying the bill, then if they discount your repairs then the discount does go to the insurance company. Not you. If you try to rebate the discount back to you, it's fraud and these days insurance companies will prosecute.

Quick Reply: crashed bike and got the estimate back, couple questions