Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Ultra Classic to a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Senoredbeard
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Convert Ultra Classic to a Road King

So I have a 2002 Ultra Classic that I've already stripped down to a street glide. But now I want to take it one step further and make it a Road King. I need help telling me exactly the things that need to be removed/replaced.

I got this bike on a crazy good deal and couldn't pass it up. I'm not big into the fairing on the front which is why I'm going to a road king look. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Before you take this any further, ride to a local dealer and take a look at a RK, so you can compare it with your bike. You have a lot of work to do, plus a lot of expense! To get a measure of the parts involved you can study the parts diagrams for UCs and RKs on any of the on-line websites, like this one. It was easy peasy to create an SG, but it ain't so simple to go further!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Thinking about this, a few things come to mind. The obvious is the headlight, nachelle, handlebars, and speedo moved to the tank.

Not real sure where the spotlight, accessory and cruise switches would be relocated to. Or what would need to be done with the other gauges. Also not real sure about the ignition switch and fork lock. Plus all the wiring that is behind the outer fairing would need addressed.

Appears to be quite a project to endeavor, may be less cost to trade.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Senoredbeard
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bit of money in the engine and tranny, both are SE and is a 117ci with a 6speed Harley only offered me $3500 for trade, and I looked at him like he had a third eye. So I went back to the drawing board. I knew I loved the way a RK looked and basically mine is a RK with a fairing and a few more assessories. I know it will be some work but I'm going into it knowing that. Just wish me luck I guess. I'll post before and after pics also.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

No denying the 117" is worth hanging onto! In some ways you are right that your bike is an RK with a fairing, but the detailed differences behind that statement are substantial. The main wiring harnesses are different, plus gas tank, headlamp housing, etc. With patience you may be able to get most of the parts you need on Ebay and sell what you take off there. But it is an ambitious project! Many years ago I looked into doing the reverse, changing my FLHS (the predecessor to the RK) into a batwing bike, but decided against going the whole hog.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Senoredbeard
I have a bit of money in the engine and tranny, both are SE and is a 117ci with a 6speed Harley only offered me $3500 for trade, and I looked at him like he had a third eye. So I went back to the drawing board. I knew I loved the way a RK looked and basically mine is a RK with a fairing and a few more assessories. I know it will be some work but I'm going into it knowing that. Just wish me luck I guess. I'll post before and after pics also.

Sounds like a fun project to me...

So many people today have the "Just trade it in" mentality about making a bike you have into the bike you want.
I have converted many an FXRT/FXRP into a plain old FXR because the owner didn't want the fairing on the bike.

Cool thing is, in 90% of those conversions, I got to keep the parts that I removed from the bikes, 'cause the owners didn't want them.
I like the good old way of doing things with my bikes....Gettin' my hands dirty and making cool little changes and even major changes myself, rather than just buying something that everyone else has.

It's a fairly involved job ,but when you're done there's a certain pride in knowing that you took what you had and made it into what you wanted it to be....With your own two hands.

I'm in the middle of converting my 2001 FXDWG into a bagger with and FXRT fairing, fairing lowers and FXRT clamshell bags.

It's a major change, but when it's done, it'll be a one of a kind bike built from the ground up by me!

Far better than having a factory "custom" cookie cutter bike with a bunch'a bolt on Chinese chrome crap, that looks exactly like 10,000 other bikes.

Good luck, Have fun.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Just spitballin' here.... What don't you like about the fairing? Ever thought about a Road Glide fairing? The RG fairing is way different than the batwing, and that conversion would likely be easier and more cost effective (speedo can stay in fairing then).

If you insist on the RK look, might be able to find a used center console, housing, and speedo on ebay. But all the wiring might be different?

Keep us posted, sounds like a fun project regardless of which direction you go.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Buy a Road King,swap engines,sell Ultra.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything is possible with time and $$. If you want the RK look you are going to need a new tank to get the speedo in the console...

Here is something you can consider...I just did this mod to my RK:

You could keep you existing tank and go this route with your existing speedo and tach. You would be missing a gas gauge however I could see one easily living without that. The big problem I see would be that the if the current ignition switch remains in place it might stick up pretty high where it would pop through the RK fork lock location. Your wiring harness should be able to be utilized and wiring to gauges not used could be stashed behind the headlight.

Good luck Mr. Phelps

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 06-13-2014 at 03:29 PM.