Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp gauge (fairing)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
DBLX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil temp gauge (fairing)

How has the oil temperature gauge worked for those who have replaced the useless ambient air temp gauge? I'm thinkin of swapping it out tomorrow. Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

TIA,
Mj

Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I thought about a fairing mounted oil temp gage but I couldn't get one (at that time) to match the gages on my CVO Ultra.

I went with the oil dipstick gage instead.
The problem is that regardless of what the temp is, there isn't too much that you can do to change it, so it just becomes something to worry about.

My bike has the factory oil cooler, I've eliminated the cat on my bike, went with true dual exhaust and a dyno tune, and installed the Wards Parts Werks fans so I don't worry (too much) about it anymore.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine. It's satisfied my engineer's obsession with more data. I don't ride any different now that I know the temp in the oil pan, but it's cool to see how long (or short) it takes it to warm-up properly, or how much it cools off when it's raining, etc.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like mine. It takes a while to register at first but it's a good way to monitor the oil temperature while riding. I don't look at it too closely, as I don't really care what the "normal" operating temp is. I got it so I would know if it's getting dangerously hot, at which point I would probably pull off and shut her down!

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 06-13-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Just-Jeff
Cruiser

Mine stinks!!! Never works when it's hot out and other times it's like another tach.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like mine, and have it mated with a JAGG fan-assisted oil cooler on my 06 Ultra. It gets plenty hot here in Texas.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 AM
FLHTK_2013
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DBLX
How has the oil temperature gauge worked for those who have replaced the useless ambient air temp gauge? I'm thinkin of swapping it out tomorrow. Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

TIA,
Mj
Mine works very well. Like others have said, it s a data point but nothing to obsess over. You can tell if your engine is getting too hot without a temperature gauge. Keep your motor moving thru the breeze and all is well.
But to me the ambient temp gauge was a waste and not worth the hole drilled in the fairing. MO.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:55 AM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

mine works good, kinda fun to watch

Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 AM
soberjoe
Cruiser

I have one. I also have a set of the fans to cool things down. It's interesting to see how well the fans help in the Florida heat.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:21 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have said, it's fun to watch but nothing too obsess over. Amazing how efficient water cooling is. You can be riding along at normal temps (230-250) and if you run into rain, the oil temp will fall almost to the low peg. And it'll fall very quickly. IMO a nice replacement to that useless temp gauge.

David

Quick Reply: Oil temp gauge (fairing)