Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring steering stabilizer

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Know what? I think they have one on the Tri-Glide. Should also be able to put it on any Touring bike.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 AM
heng
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring steering stabilizer

check this one
http://www.bkrider.com/cross4/produc...&sku=C01150167

Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 AM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

So is there no steering dampener? I have been searching and I don't seem to be able to find one. Everything I have found is swing-arm stabilizers.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by heavyhitter01
So is there no steering dampener? I have been searching and I don't seem to be able to find one. Everything I have found is swing-arm stabilizers.
I don't know of one, but my experience of Harleys suggests their handling problems can be sorted out with other solutions.

What is it about your bike you would like to improve? We can probably provide a solution!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one that works and looks good too. The Harley one off the trikes is the only one I found and I looked high and low. It's over $600.00 but mounts right and looks right when it's done. V-Twin has a few different ones but you get what you pay for. The HD one is on B/O right now and you have to order the brackets to go along with it.

Good Luck

Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
What is it about your bike you would like to improve? We can probably provide a solution!
When I change lanes and the pavement is uneven, I get a little tank slap (sport bike term). I am no expert but it does not feel like the back-end walking out. The bars wobble back and forth. Scared the crap out of me a few times. I say it's the front cause it is the exact same thing if I wiggle the bars when I go down the road. BUT.... I could be wrong. I usually am, or so all the girls I date tell me.

You guys would know more than I would. All my years of riding has been sport bikes. I have added the 07 SG to my garage now. Love it but want to get rid of this death wobble.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Steering dampers are designed for super sport bikes that have virtually no trail for quick steering, head shake in a bike like that can be an issue if you hit a bump under hard cornering. A harley on the other hand has an excessively large amount of fork rake and trail in the front wheel by comparison. This gives it slow to very slow steering response (slowness increases with rake) but great strait line stability. With steering geometry like a HD, I cannot see any advantage to a steering damper. Also the frame is not stiff enough on a cruiser design to handle a steering damper. A steel frame on a cruiser has some flex built into it unlike a rigid aluminum frame found on a super sport.

Head shake on a Harley is usually a sign of worn out steering head bearings.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-01-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Tony! I will check the steering head bearings.

Anyone else have a issue like what I described if it is not the bearings?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 AM
jm1211
Tourer

i have the same issue I have been told either front tire or neck bearings i will start with the tire. bearings is a big job.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

I know one exists. I have seen a Steering Stabilizer just recently on a bat wing bike. It was mounted to the left fork leg and went under the triple tree to what I would imagine a frame mounting point on the other side. I did not give it that much thought at the time as I felt that I had not experienced the need for one yet. but in my crotch rocket days... I had one on every bike that I owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touring steering stabilizer