Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Temp question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
imtheman
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air Temp question

I am fairly new to Harley and new to posting on the forum so hopefully I did this right. I have a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. I was riding the other day around town and it was hot (95 degrees). I noticed the air temp gauge was reading about 125 degrees. I was wondering if that was normal or what kind of temps I should be seeing on the bike. Also, how hot should it get before I worry. I see people have discussed oil temp however I don't have an oil temp gauge on the bike. I am running amsoil in all 3 holes. Any help would be appreciated

Old 06-22-2014, 09:00 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

most of the air temp gauges are....... a little off....and it varies. sometimes mine reads up to 10 degrees off, sometimes but not often, its right on. lots of folks replace the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge. oh yeah, welcome to the forum....

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Air temp gauge on the bike is pretty useless. They have tried moving it to various locations within the fairing and it has gotten better, but still jot accurate.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 458 Posts

Clue: "around town". Did that entail a lot of stop and go? First, the air temp gauge is notoriously inaccurate and useless. If you can't feel that you are too hot or too cold, only then you might need one. Next, the gauge reads the temp where the sensor is. If the wind or traffic situation is such that engine heat surrounds the sensor, that is what you will see as the temperature. Because of that, it is roughly accurate only while moving fast enough to keep the engine heat away from the sensor.

As you indicated, if you are interested in engine temp, an oil temp gauge is a better indicator of that. Other than small changes (cat removal and mixture changes) there is little you can do to control engine temp anyway. EITMS is about all we have and it is automatic if you haven't turned it off.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 AM
imtheman
6th Gear

I appreciate the responses. I guess I would be better off with the oil temp then.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM
imtheman
6th Gear

$150 for a oil gauge. I guess I just need to laugh and suck it up. What kind of oil temp range should i be looking to see as "normal"?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default An oil temp gauge..

Originally Posted by imtheman
$150 for a oil gauge. I guess I just need to laugh and suck it up. What kind of oil temp range should i be looking to see as "normal"?
will just give you something else to worry about. The oil you're running will handle the engine heat just fine. Keep your fluids topped up, change them occasionally, and ride. Simple. Oh, and save yourself $150 bucks while you're at it.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I like the fact I always know the temperature inside my fairing. I am considering replacing the volt & oil pressure gauges with air temp so I can monitor both saddlebags too.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:04 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I added the air/oil pressure gauges to mine. The air sensor was to be mounted in the fairing. Knowing the inaccuracy this caused, I mounted it on the bottom of the triple tree, in the open air. It fit perfect and works flawless even though I had to splice in a foot or so of wire.

Quick Reply: Air Temp question