Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next to no cost Cruise Ctrl for Police Bikes

Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next to no cost Cruise Ctrl for Police Bikes

Been looking at wiring diagrams, and was wondering if anyone could confirm the following to give a Police bike cruise control for nothing more than a couple of wire splices and having the stealer enable Cruise in the ECU.

This reuses the Siren on/off as a Cruise on/off, and reuses the momentary Siren button (Whoop) as the set speed/coast button. It does not hook up the resume/accel function.

This should also work for any other Throttle By Wire bike, but you have to do your own switches.

What I believe to be true:
On the ECU harness there is a Red-Grn wire that goes to Pin 15 of the interconnect harness. This turn on the cruise control without setting a speed (the dealer has to have already enabled Cruise in the ECU). You connect this to the Pink-Blk wire (Pin 2F) of the Siren harness connector.

On the ECU harness there is a Blu-Blk wire than goes to Pin 16 of the interconnect harness. This is the set/coast trigger. You connect it to the Tan-Blk wire (Pin 1F) of the Siren harness connector.

When done, you would turn on the "Siren" to turn on the cruise control, and you would momentarily hit the siren yelp switch (inner horn push) to set or un-set a speed. The indicator lights (also used for EIMTS) should work as expected.

If you do not have a police bike, you simply need a regular on off switch to switch 12v to the Red-Grn of the ECU, and you need to a momentary switch (like a horn button) to hit the ECU Blu-Blk with 12v.

Anyone care to confirm?

Last edited by mtiberio; 06-23-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Do you have the cruise control unit on your bike? I can't imagine it would have installed at the factory if the bike was not going to have cruise.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Do you have the cruise control unit on your bike? I can't imagine it would have installed at the factory if the bike was not going to have cruise.
For all of the TBW bikes, cruise control is totally electronic. All you have to do is have your dealer activate cruise control in the ECM. Once you have the switches to enable and control it, you will have factory cruise control.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I skipped right over the tbw sentence! Makes sense now,thanks!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
dacula951
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Been looking at wiring diagrams, and was wondering if anyone could confirm the following to give a Police bike cruise control for nothing more than a couple of wire splices and having the stealer enable Cruise in the ECU.

This reuses the Siren on/off as a Cruise on/off, and reuses the momentary Siren button (Whoop) as the set speed/coast button. It does not hook up the resume/accel function.

This should also work for any other Throttle By Wire bike, but you have to do your own switches.

What I believe to be true:
On the ECU harness there is a Red-Grn wire that goes to Pin 15 of the interconnect harness. This turn on the cruise control without setting a speed (the dealer has to have already enabled Cruise in the ECU). You connect this to the Pink-Blk wire (Pin 2F) of the Siren harness connector.

On the ECU harness there is a Blu-Blk wire than goes to Pin 16 of the interconnect harness. This is the set/coast trigger. You connect it to the Tan-Blk wire (Pin 1F) of the Siren harness connector.

When done, you would turn on the "Siren" to turn on the cruise control, and you would momentarily hit the siren yelp switch (inner horn push) to set or un-set a speed. The indicator lights (also used for EIMTS) should work as expected.

If you do not have a police bike, you simply need a regular on off switch to switch 12v to the Red-Grn of the ECU, and you need to a momentary switch (like a horn button) to hit the ECU Blu-Blk with 12v.

Anyone care to confirm?
i did exactly what you describe and can confirm it works perfectly. See this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ice-bikes.html

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If you prefer to add separate switches rather than use the existing Police switches, here is a relatively inexpensive option to do that.

Gripswitch

These are the same switchs that NetGoods (formerly Cruisemount) used in the past with their kit. It looks like they are using different switches now.

Last edited by LeadSSled; 10-20-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: edited
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

This is a 5 year old thread but would this work for a 2005 Road King Police by chance?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

No you need the module, I think HD still sells the 2004 and newer module.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

I don't think so. Your bike has throttle cables while the 2008 & up have throttle by wire. Entirely different way of controlling the throttle body or possibly a carb on your bike.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 AM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi my 2013 RKP is set up as you described using the siren switches by the former owner. Works perfectly except that you only have on/off and set. There is another red switch on the right not being used ( the flashing lights control? ) that could make for a resume/accel switch perhaps.