Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Head temperatures

What's the average head temp for a 85* day at cruising speed (70mph)?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by RVTRKN
I see you are pretty new to the forum. There are already many threads discussing this issue, so if you do a search you will more than likely find way more info than you actually want. There is really no set answer to this question as it has much to do with whether your bike is stock or modified, how it is modified, and whether you are using any cooling devices such as fans and oil coolers. My bike in the situation you mentioned will run about 270 degrees F. I have a good oil cooler and FSC fans, but they are the early models and they lose effectiveness above 50 mph. The bike actually has lower head temps at lower speeds. Your bike may see higher temps in the same situation or it could be lower.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When it's 85 degrees I run about 240 - 250 at a steady highway speed (60-70mph) depending on driving style. That's according to the PowerVision listening to the ET (Engine Temp) channel from the ECM. Not sure if that's technically "head temp".

I have an aftermarket intake, PowerVision, stock head pipe and after market mufflers. I do not have data from before my bike was modified.

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I see you are pretty new to the forum.
He joined a month before you.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser

I looked for a couple of days and the numbers are all over the place. I used to see 185 but that was per Gaugeface then they found it incorrect so with the little I have ridden it is around 275. Hoping to get some averages.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

He joined a month before you.
I'm sorry, I guess I should have said he is pretty inactive, that would be judging by the number of his posts. That is what I looked at. He could also be someone that doesn't feel to compelled to comment on what he reads on here and that is fine too.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RVTRKN
Too many variables to say xxx is a "normal" temp. Ambient temp has minimal impact on CHTs, RPM and vehicle speed are the biggest contributors affecting CHTs. Modifications and operating conditions make it very challenging to establish "normal"

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/new-p...ance-data.html . The last chart is a 70 MPH run at about 82-85F ambient, 06 SG 88", 5 SPD, stock type tune, one set of traces is without fan. Most folks have no visibility of CHT or ET, but those who do are usually limited to the front because that's where the OEM ET sensor is and that's what the aftermarket tuners read. In non-extreme conditions, 260-280 CHT at traveling speed is not uncommon.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

And the altitude you are running at will also have an effect on the CHT. The higher you go, the warmer your bike will run.

Generally speaking, when cruising down the road, anything below 280-300 is just fine. If sitting in traffic, it really doesn't matter. When I called MoCo because I was curious if they recommend shutting it off in traffic, the guy I talked with said that they have a test track in AZ and in the middle of summer will run bikes hard and let them idle for hours on end and don't have any issues. His commetn was "if Harley thought that the bike could reach a temp that was dangerous, the ecm would be set up to shut it down or put it in limp mode and then shut it down." and he's unaware of any setting that does this.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
RVTRKN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I'm sorry, I guess I should have said he is pretty inactive, that would be judging by the number of his posts. That is what I looked at. He could also be someone that doesn't feel to compelled to comment on what he reads on here and that is fine too.
Now that I'm on my Lap Top, I Googled that for a couple of days and found different numbers but they were all over the place and seemed incorrect. But I won't take the first opinion as gospel, I want to do research before I act, or spend lots of dollars, if I were going to blow a lot of cash. I'm in the middle of doing a major upgrade on my Dodge Ram 3500 CTD, so I have not been on this Forum for a couple of months, except to install my oil temp gauge.

I was on vacation when Gaugeface issued an update for the app, I updated it and forgot about it. When I finally went for a ride, I noticed it was almost a hundred degrees off and I contacted them and they reminded me of the update. They found out apparently that the Gaugeface was calculating the signal from the ECM wrong. So all of my base temperatures that I knew since the bike was new, have now gone out the window, and I have to start all over again. I just installed Gaugeface on my buddies 07 HD and we compared the numbers on his first run, which seemed to run the same within a couple of degrees.

BTW, I never saw my head temp over 210 degree's with the older Gaugeface version.