Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Compensator Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Trouble with that..

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Ride your bike & enjoy it. Don't sweat the small stuff. That's what a warranty is for.
Most people don't get 20K miles under warranty.

I've got 39K on my 13 Limited and no problem with the compensator yet. I plan on a 60K warranty, so I'm hoping to let Harley buy my first one.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
The latest generation from Harley are not as good as the previous version from what ive seen. They either are not hardening them correctly or there is not enough spring pressure. Some people are shimming them with an extra .030 -.060 preload with ok results. I am going to eliminate mine all together.
lets here more about this!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I just put the 2014 SE A version in my 09 Heritage. I had already upgraded to the 2012/13 but I was hearing a lot of knocks & bangs so I decided to put in the 2014 a few weeks ago. Well I've only put about 600 miles on it & although it quieter, shifts fine & neutral is a breeze, if I bump the throttle at idle or between shifts I feel a vibration coming from the primary on every third or fourth twist of the throttle. In others words if I quickly blip the throttle it sounds fine & solid, blip again once or twice & there's a loose vibration & noise from the front end of the outer primary cover. I can feel it in my floorboards too. Any ideas.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
No solution sept making something simple more complicated.
============================

" No solution "

NOT ANYMORE!/LOL!!

FYI,1st i want to say i have no stake or stock in this CO or know anyone affiliated with it either.

Ok,with all the trouble many of us (including me!) are having with the compensator on our bikes i was very excited when i came by this new product designed to address HD's compensator issue and wanted to post this so everyone here in the HD forum has a chance to see it and make thier own decision on if they think its a viable product or not and or to buy/install it or not .

I know it's has been mentioned here & there in posts in this forum but it gets lost in those posts as its not the main subject.

But since it looked like such a good product to address the comp oiling issues on the HD i could not resist posting it here to ensure everyone see's because it looks as though it could greatly reduce failure rate while also greatly increasing reliability / srvc life of HD's heavier duty SE comp .

It looks to be one of the best if not the best aftermarket upgrade i have seen that " directly addresses the lack of oil issue " that the comp see's on the HD.

I would not be surprised if you never have an issue with a comp again on a stock to even fairly hot/modded HD running HD's latest design SE comp with the additional oiling this product provides.

It's designed to work with the current replacement SE comp on the market today.

I ordered it the other day to install with the current Se Comp on my 09 FLHTCU.

Here are the links to it with a little info on the compensaver and a few 1st hand use testimonials from guys that installed it too.

So chk it out and let me know what think!

Scott

http://gmrperformance.com/

http://www.compensaver.com/

What it is

The CompenSaver is an oil delivery system to prevent premature failure of the Harley Davidson compensator #42200064A on the Twin Cam engines produced starting in 2014. The compensator is retro fit-able from 2007 through 2013 model years. Cast in high quality steel.
What it does

The CompenSaver redistributes lubrication to the working surfaces of the compensator that has been thrown out due to centrifugal forces. It supports and enhances the capillary action created by the Harley compensator by providing a generous oil supply to the interior of the assembly that otherwise is receiving an inadequate supply of oil to properly protect the spokes, cam and cam splines plus increases the oil supply to the oil intake at the end of the retainer providing a consistant oil flow to the sprocket bore and thrust areas.
What it prevents

• Excessive wear of the contact surfaces
  • Fretting
  • The composite thrust washer reduces noise produced by the metal on metal roll thrust bearing
  • greatly reduces damaging metal debris in primary assembly
  • Unnecessary costly repairs
$199.00

================================================== =====

Some feedback on it with some guys that had mult comp failures in short timeframe/not many miles:

Posted on HDTALKING March , 2014

The idea of the "Compensaver" and the way it is made to oil the needed parts that usually run DRY/and Rust, is a BIG Improvement over the old "A" SE compensator replacement that I put into my 09 King. I grooved my compensator face to get some oil into it BUT The COMPENSAVER would have really helped on mine, even when I'm using the "A" SE replacement compensator.

NOW combining the Newer Comp. with the lube holes and the CompenSaver is the Cats Meow...
It IS just like Hoople said to me before he left this forum ......" The compensaver is A Quality Built/Best Idea item he ran across that will do the Oiling Job and Prevent/STOP Fretting..."

NO Guilt in Giving Credit where Credit is Due.... Products that help us out like the COMPENSAVER does, should be Broadcast here for all to see....

signed....BUBBIE

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Email to us April, 2014

I have been running the CompenSaver in the primary of my 08 FLHX with a 148 hp 124" engine for the past year and I run ATF fluid in my primary.
I went thru two SE comps before purchasing the CompenSaver. My hope was to add it to my primary to try to cure my SE comp woes.
With the purchase of my 3rd SE comp along with the added CompenSaver...my primary has operated flawlessly and has not made a peep ever since I installed it.
I had my primary apart again this past winter to do a final drive chain conversion from the belt drive. I was absolutely amazed at the condition of my comp once I had my primary opened up. It had no galling or fretting anywhere and looked as good as new with a little over 5000 miles put on it.
My first two SE comp's only had 1500 miles on each of them before they started making a terrible racket...and once I pulled them apart...both comp's were basically dry with galling and fretting. They both were terrible condition because they were not getting any oil to the inside them.
Now with the CompenSaver added to my primary...my comp is enjoying a bath on the inside everytime I start it up.
I couldn't be happier with the results!
Ray
aka No Cents

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Emailed to us April, 2014

Setting up my ’08 FLHX with a 117 motor, and a performance clutch system that requires ATF. I was very concerned that my new SE compensator wouldn’t live long. Seems that no matter what lube is used, the SE compensators don’t have a very long life. After seeking options to prolong the compensator’s life, I decided that the GMR Compensaver would be my only option, and best chance of getting life out of the SE compensator. After 7,500+ miles running ATF in my primary, the compensator looks great, and performs as it should. There’s no other option out there for getting lubrication into the compensator that they desperately need.
Brian W.

Emailed to us April 11, 2014

I like others have had plenty of problems and complaints from customers about the new style comps. Noisy, galling, worn out before they ever get off the dyno. The compensaver address these issues and after checking my own after 8000 miles of run time on it. My comp still looks like the day I put it in. Absolutely no noise and I haven't had a customer complaint about the ones I have installed. Great product.

Jason C
C&S Speed Shop

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I think letting the oil run for the amount of miles specified in the manual is a contributor. I subscribe to a different way of thinking and monitor wear carefully. To expound further would be turning this into an oil thread.
Oh go ahead, it's just a theory. Let's here it.

To the OP, I had two comps go out. One was on a SG that I rode fairly aggressively, but always single rider. The other was on an 09 Ultra that was not ridden agrssively, but mostly two up.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 03-24-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My method for avoiding driveline troubles, including the compensator, is to always perform cold starts with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. I don't claim to be an expert but the harsh bang when you first put the bike in gear can't be doing the bike any good. I recognize there is some additional wear and tear on the starter but I can accept the slight risk and I'm always aware that the bike is going to lurch a little when I press the starter button so I make sure I'm stable and ready for it.

I haven't had any problems with my compensator on my 2010 RKC so far but I realize I'm not performing a scientific test. At 23k I might not have enough miles to develop issues anyway. Feel free to disregard this - just giving my experience.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
My method for avoiding driveline troubles, including the compensator, is to always perform cold starts with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. I don't claim to be an expert but the harsh bang when you first put the bike in gear can't be doing the bike any good. I recognize there is some additional wear and tear on the starter but I can accept the slight risk and I'm always aware that the bike is going to lurch a little when I press the starter button so I make sure I'm stable and ready for it.

I haven't had any problems with my compensator on my 2010 RKC so far but I realize I'm not performing a scientific test. At 23k I might not have enough miles to develop issues anyway. Feel free to disregard this - just giving my experience.
As I read this post I got to thinking ........... since my bike is in Florida where it is substantially warmer and thus not as subject to the 'sticking plates' issue I wonder if there is any correlation between the climate and the number of compensator failures .... hope some other Florida or warm climate riders can comment ........ cheers

Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Copy and Pasted from another thread last year. The Compensaver does a very good job of lubricating, However Fretting was evident. Have an oil change and inspection coming up soon, So we'll see what 3k more miles have done. I would order the Baker now If I could afford it after upgrading Audio. Plus I'll have to buy a damn Stator just to fix the stupid leakey rubber plug! I've injected RTV twice, Holds about 1K mi. Grrrrr....

Reviving this thread for an update. I recently had my primary open again to install the new Thrust Washer from GMR Performance.(That is now included with the Compensaver as a kit) Everything looked good,Plenty of lubrication from the Compensaver,Until I pulled the bolt out and looked inside the part that slides onto the splines on the shaft. I had began to wipe it with a rag,very well lubed,But then I saw the rag had red rust colored stains on it, Looked inside and this is what I saw.The dreaded red fretting! This is only 1500 miles on it and I had wiped it first. So I want to know WTF is HD making these things with? Can't they use an alloy that will not rust when coated with oil/lube???

Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Copy and Pasted from another thread last year. The Compensaver does a very good job of lubricating, However Fretting was evident. Have an oil change and inspection coming up soon, So we'll see what 3k more miles have done. I would order the Baker now If I could afford it after upgrading Audio. Plus I'll have to buy a damn Stator just to fix the stupid leakey rubber plug! I've injected RTV twice, Holds about 1K mi. Grrrrr....

Reviving this thread for an update. I recently had my primary open again to install the new Thrust Washer from GMR Performance.(That is now included with the Compensaver as a kit) Everything looked good,Plenty of lubrication from the Compensaver,Until I pulled the bolt out and looked inside the part that slides onto the splines on the shaft. I had began to wipe it with a rag,very well lubed,But then I saw the rag had red rust colored stains on it, Looked inside and this is what I saw.The dreaded red fretting! This is only 1500 miles on it and I had wiped it first. So I want to know WTF is HD making these things with? Can't they use an alloy that will not rust when coated with oil/lube???

I'm not sure it matters if there is red rust on the inside of those splines, since that part is solidly mounted and does not slide on the shaft. The oil grooves in it allows the oil to feed to the outside journal shown, to allow the sprocket to rotate back and forth. It appears no galling or fretting at that journal, which is where the problem with the previous compensator was. Is there any galling on those journals?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm still somewhat undecided as to whether or not take it all apart and inspect or just change oil and ride it another 3 or 4k. No noise or vibration so I may wait till I can do it all at once, Stator,Baker Comp, Attitude adjuster, and maybe a VPC. Now thats getting expensive!

Quick Reply: Increasing Compensator Longevity