Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have somebody paint it, or buy it painted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default have somebody paint it, or buy it painted?

I'm thinking about getting a new inner fairing for my 2007 street glide and having it color matched to the bike. I can get the whole thing from HD painted for like $500 (it was $4XX...around $500). Or I can buy an inner faring unpainted from someplace like eBay for around $200 and have somebody local paint it. If I do that, I'll also buy lids for my saddle bags with speakers in them and have those painted at the same time.

Does anybody know about how much it might cost to have the inner fairing painted? Would you assume it would be cheaper to get the inner fairing painted at the same time as the saddle bag speaker lids (cheaper having the inner fairing and the lids painted at the same time rather than having the fairing painted, then going back 2 month later to have the lids painted)?

Obviously much of this will be determined by the painter himself/herself, but I'm just looking for general info.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I would guess that it costs more to have a local pro painter do the work. Take it to a custom paint shop and ask for an estimate. Better yet go to 3 body shops and ask for an estimate.

Modern automotive paint and chemicals are very pricey.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
hAkron
Road Captain

Years ago I had an guy at an independent shop paint flames on my suzuki intruder and re-clear coat some side covers after I removed a decal from each and it was only a few hundred. I'm thinking if I have to get the saddle bag lids painted and I can have it done at the same time as the faring, then the painter only has to setup (and clean up) once. That has to be cheaper than paying HD nearly $300 for a painted fairing, then paying somebody else to paint the bag lids....right?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

what color is the bike....

Black is easy to do, the rest of the Harley colors are rather hard to duplicate, and it is a lot easier to get them factory finished.

If I had a choice of factory or a local painter, I'd take factory every time

Paint is the one thing Harley does better than everyone else

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
hAkron
Road Captain

Its the black pearl color. The problem is going to be that the lids wont be coming from HD, so I'll have to get them painted locally.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Paul is your man, amazing work, reasonable prices. If you're near JAX, very quick install

https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings

I have a Midnight Pearl Road Glide, he did my inner last year, and just got done doing a fender for me, he's great at the specialty Harley paint (pearl)

Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

It will always be cheaper to paint multiple parts at the same time - there is a lot of time and wasted material mixing the paint and cleaning the guns for each job. Joe

ps is that Harley price from your local dealer or one of the 20% discount online dealers?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by hAkron
Its the black pearl color. The problem is going to be that the lids wont be coming from HD, so I'll have to get them painted locally.
the MoCo is offering the lids too..... probably for more money though

Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, i know 2 harley dealers i talked to just have a painter that paints their inner fairings. they are not factory finished so i would ask the dealer specifically what they are selling you. i did my SG fairing cpl yrs ago and got 1 unpainted for $65 on ebay. took it to the painter and he painted it and 4 fender flares on my truck for $300 and i supplied all materials totaled less than $500 for labor and materials,(i got paint at huge discount at the time) did the install myself. sold the other fairing for $100 after it was done.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Houtzy53
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend joe (xtreme dimensions) http://www.xtremedimension.com

He can order and paint or you can just send him yours. Great guy to deal with and excellent work!

Quick Reply: have somebody paint it, or buy it painted?