Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multiple fluid changes

I bought a used Street Glide 2 months ago and had a lot of issues with the dealer(all straightened out today btw) I was hearing and feeling grinding, etc...... in the primary area and felt the clutch slipping a bit. I had a bunch of Harley + primary oil and figured I'd try changing the fluid a few times to see if that would do anything(why the hell would it) well............... it did do something as I now have a clutch that grabs properly and can say 95% of the primary noise is gone now. when I bought the bike they were supposed to do a 3 hole fluid change(they didn't) I changed the primary fluid and found it to be 12 ounces low(my bike takes 38oz wet, there was 26oz in there) I'm not sure what kind of fluid was in there but it was FILTHY! I changed the primary oil 4 times and now the thing is feeling and running great. whattaya think, is it in my head?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I smell an oil thread in the makin'...
You're OK, I would have done the same.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I smell an oil thread in the makin'...
You're OK, I would have done the same.

Oh Christ NO!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

"If you put HD Fluid in there, you are doomed!"
"If you put anything in there BUT HD Fluid, you are doomed!"
Brace yourself...
BTW - When I buy anything used, I always change fluids and filters to get my "Baseline", and I know what I have got.
Ride safe!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
"If you put HD Fluid in there, you are doomed!"
"If you put anything in there BUT HD Fluid, you are doomed!"
Brace yourself...
BTW - When I buy anything used, I always change fluids and filters to get my "Baseline", and I know what I have got.
Ride safe!

So do I brother. they were gonna do a change anyway for free so I figured let them do it. I got scammed(they said they forgot) I do all my own maintenance and repairs just shy of interior engine stuff(which I never needed yet) I might do cams this winter, looks pretty straight forward. I trust nobody, especially a dealership............ I know there's some great ones out there, I just haven't found one yet........... lol

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

You got it!
With a service manual, you will do fine.
I enjoy doing my own maintenance.
Lots of Youtube videos out there for reference, not always perfect, but gives you the idea.
Be careful, I'm outta here, time to RIDE!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skiddd
I bought a used Street Glide 2 months ago and had a lot of issues with the dealer(all straightened out today btw) I was hearing and feeling grinding, etc...... in the primary area and felt the clutch slipping a bit. I had a bunch of Harley + primary oil and figured I'd try changing the fluid a few times to see if that would do anything(why the hell would it) well............... it did do something as I now have a clutch that grabs properly and can say 95% of the primary noise is gone now. when I bought the bike they were supposed to do a 3 hole fluid change(they didn't) I changed the primary fluid and found it to be 12 ounces low(my bike takes 38oz wet, there was 26oz in there) I'm not sure what kind of fluid was in there but it was FILTHY! I changed the primary oil 4 times and now the thing is feeling and running great. whattaya think, is it in my head?
That's why I do my own services

Old 06-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

I'm an ex-mechanic.....I can't see paying someone for something I can do. Besides I have a huge toolbox full of tools that keep calling for me!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Primary fluid will ALWAYS be dirty, the clutch is in there with friction material, after all.

Formula+ seems to the THE best for bike with the new style compensator. I run it in my 120R.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I'm an ex-mechanic.....I can't see paying someone for something I can do. Besides I have a huge toolbox full of tools that keep calling for me!
You are one in a million. I bet you can fix everything. If you EVER ask a question, I for one will NOT answer your Highness. You sir, are a douche bag.

I, for one, took the time to read your sig.

Quick Reply: Multiple fluid changes