Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Possible Oil Leak (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Help With Possible Oil Leak (pics)

I need some input on a possible oil leak on my 12 EGU with only 4500 miles. The motor oil level is a the midpoint between low and full, so there seems to be no major loss. The bike has barely been ridden in the past year because of my schedule. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and immediately smelled hot oil. The rear of the case is lightly covered with some oil dipping at the lowest point when parked (pic). There’s also oil all over and under the head pipe hanger point and bolt just below the clutch cable housing (pic). I can’t see any obvious leak drips coming from that cover gasket. The oil is also on the head pipe under the heat shields near that bracket point. That’s probably what I’m smelling. I can’t see any obvious leak drips coming for any other seals or gaskets in that area.

I also have oil dripping from my breather (pic) which I know is not that unusual. However, I can’t find any oil trail running down to the area of the hanger bracket and cover. Is it possible that much oil could be dripping from my breather to the pipe hanger area without leaving an obvious path? I’ve found light oil residue inside my breather cover before, but have never seen enough to drip that much on the engine. Is this possible?

Any input or experiences would be appreciated. This is my first non-AMF HD, so oil drips on such a new bike is causing some anxiety flashbacks.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

spray suspect areas with spray on foot powder from 99¢ store.

the seep will wash away the powder.

common sources are trap door cover bolts*, oil filter adapter.

mike

* revised torque spec is 25 ft lbs
make a tool like this, put your piece of cut off 1/4 allen or the butt end of a 1/4" bit into the bolt and turn with a wrench:

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:00 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

When was the last time you changed your oil? I ask, because if you changed it and haven't ridden it since then, any mess you made that is lurking in crevices maybe just spilled out now while riding. Happened to me this past spring.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
spray suspect areas with spray on foot powder from 99¢ store.

the seep will wash away the powder.

common sources are trap door cover bolts*, oil filter adapter.

mike

* revised torque spec is 25 ft lbs
make a tool like this, put your piece of cut off 1/4 allen or the butt end of a 1/4" bit into the bolt and turn with a wrench:

Thanks for the tip. After wiping away much of the oil on the case and breather, I'm certain the oil is not coming from the breather above. It appears to be centered in the area under of the chrome clutch cable cover or the larger black cover behind it. I'll try the foot powder.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
When was the last time you changed your oil? I ask, because if you changed it and haven't ridden it since then, any mess you made that is lurking in crevices maybe just spilled out now while riding. Happened to me this past spring.
That's a good idea, but it's been ridden quite bit since the last oil change. As a matter of fact, it's due for another right now. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

the bottom bolts on that chrome tranny cover where the clutch cable goes in are absolutely famous for working loose. I've had to tighten mine back up a few times.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
the bottom bolts on that chrome tranny cover where the clutch cable goes in are absolutely famous for working loose. I've had to tighten mine back up a few times.
this is correct and most likely your problem. i've tighten mine up several times too!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:57 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re

I had a nagging drop or so of oil in my garage after rides. I finally talked to a mechanic at work and he told me to check my oil pan. Sure enough, I found 2 or 3 bolts that were very loose. I went around the torque pattern taking each bolt out one at a time, put a little blue loctite on and torquing to specs. No drips.
As far as the breather, mine has blown oil forever.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Thanks... this very helpful and definitely the best case scenario. It's also exactly where the leak seems to be originating. Heading to the garage now.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Also pull you air cleaner cover off and check you breathers and for oil mist residue. May be misting through breathers and draining out below the air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Possible Oil Leak (pics)