Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Windshield Bushings and Studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Road King Windshield Bushings and Studs

You know, sometimes it's the damnedest things that bug me that I need to fix. This time it's the half assed RK windshield mounts. So tonight I decide to do a little experiment and remove the fangs in the hot weather to see if there's any improvement with more air flow in the heat coming off the back pipe under my right thigh. Not loving that.

So the simple plan is pop off the acorn nuts, remove the deflectors and reinstall the acorn nuts. Ten minutes max, recall thinking less than five. But, as was the case when I installed in three out of the four studs the entire stud comes out. And with that the black bushings are falling off, etc. etc.

I then hatch a plan to red Loctite the studs in so they don't so easily come out in the future. Easy enough except I have to get the acorn but off the stud first. So after futzing with two nuts tightened together on the other side they are all off. Then, using the same method I installed them back into the holes. But it took some trial and error to get the depth right. I thought they would seat themselves. Not so much but they are in. We will see how that works out in the future.

But the real point of all this that I am finally getting to is how crappy the black bushings perform with everything tightened down. They deform and the shield is then so damned difficult to install. And do those silly 'locking' thumb wires actually do anything but get in the way? Or have you taken them off?

Am I doing something wrong here like over tightening the nuts? Seems like they oughtta be pretty snug for what they're holding on. Has anyone installed a metal spacer in the bushing hole to create a positive surface to tighten against while not deforming the black rubber mounting bushing?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Ha,for some reason the top studs stay on and the bottom comes off. I'm used to it. I keep a few extra bushings around as i had buggered a few in the past.yes,those little spring latches don't see to be needed.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heritage has those springs also. Looking at them logically I've never been able to figure out what they do either. Something seems out of whack, my windshield goes on/off and fits perfectly and I use the same mounts for my Reckless Batwing. Sorry, no help.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

In a perfect world, those springs sit positioned to hold the windshield against being pulled forward. You would need to lift them in order to get the windshield off. In a perfect world.

Mine habitually sit high, doing nothing for security. They do provide an entertaining buzz as they vibrate wildly at certain road speeds or engine rpms.

My springs are apparently made from a mild steel, not a spring steel. They bend easily and don't retain their shape worth a darn. It means every time I reshape or reposition them to actually work, they promptly get bent into a non-working shape.

Why we get blessed with this poor design, while the soft tail mounts use a far more effective design, I've no idea.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I added the fangs to my bike, all 4 bolts came off with the acorn nut. on the first one, I was like what the hell so I tried another. When it came off with it I figured this must be how it is and the MOCO used acorn headed bolts instead of what I had assumed was a fully threaded piece and took all 4 off. They all came out completely, and of course a couple of the black bushings dropped and rolled on the ground.

Next time I have that loose, I will use a couple nuts and separate them as you did.

As for the springs, they don't do anything other than ride high to no effect as far as I can see.

Last edited by RushKing14; 07-01-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Took my springs off too. They were about worthless for anything as far as I could tell. As stated they just bend and don't spring back into shape.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Yes, you are over tightening them. There is a torque value for those in the book. Over tightening will deform them and yes, they suck.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Gonna check that torque spec but it would seem they should be snugged up pretty good. I am going to look into some spacers through the bushings though. I think that would be a solid problem solver here.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default springs

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
In a perfect world, those springs sit positioned to hold the windshield against being pulled forward. You would need to lift them in order to get the windshield off. In a perfect world.

Mine habitually sit high, doing nothing for security. They do provide an entertaining buzz as they vibrate wildly at certain road speeds or engine rpms.

My springs are apparently made from a mild steel, not a spring steel. They bend easily and don't retain their shape worth a darn. It means every time I reshape or reposition them to actually work, they promptly get bent into a non-working shape.

Why we get blessed with this poor design, while the soft tail mounts use a far more effective design, I've no idea.
I had a 07 FLSTF- the springs on the shield were from what I could tell sort of pointless. They sorta did their own thing pseudo functional at best.
Not sure if my RKC shield springs are more flimsy or not- pseudo functional at best it seems on them too.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Boale
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put some Dialectic grease on the black rubber spacer and windshield will pop on and off easily without tearing up the rubber.

Quick Reply: Road King Windshield Bushings and Studs