Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did your dyno tune take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long did your dyno tune take?

I just got me bike dyno tuned at Colonial HD in Price George, VA (near Richmond). It was pretty cool that the work took place right in front of me through a window and there was a monitor that showed what the tech was seeing/doing. However, the bike was in and out in about an hour and a half. Everything I have read is that a good tune takes 3+ hours. I'm looking for some feed back from some people who have had a dyno tune done that they are happy with. How long did it take? I only paid $240 for the tune, but I'm afraid I got the bare minimum instead of someone tweaking everything that was available from my build. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Unless your dealer has a reputation for being a good shop for tuning, I'd stay away from dealers dynos.

I wouldnt say that time spent on the dyno is necessarily an indication of quality, if they had a base map of that configuration it was probably close, but a dealer generally is the last place I'd go for a tune.

Post your sheet here, you'll get plenty of commentary, trust me.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I was thinking of putting mine on the dyno... JUST to print a sheet.

Curiosity, cat.... all that.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default my dyno experience

Originally Posted by rockajet1
I just got me bike dyno tuned at Colonial HD in Price George, VA (near Richmond). It was pretty cool that the work took place right in front of me through a window and there was a monitor that showed what the tech was seeing/doing. However, the bike was in and out in about an hour and a half. Everything I have read is that a good tune takes 3+ hours. I'm looking for some feed back from some people who have had a dyno tune done that they are happy with. How long did it take? I only paid $240 for the tune, but I'm afraid I got the bare minimum instead of someone tweaking everything that was available from my build. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I rode 600 miles round trip, spent $300 and my tune was not done right, as my recent map supplied by Fuelmoto is 100% to the good. I sent my "dyno tune map " to FM for review, and I spoke to Jamie about it. Jamie said that my "dyno tune" was way wrong.

Happy that I got my FM map, and the shop I went to was supposed to be great as doing tunes.... go figure.

Last edited by mgmmgm; 07-03-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

The shop thats recommended by one of the builders on the forum, said allow three hours for a tune from them.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 PM
WICK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dyno should take a long time if done correctly.
Determine a base
let engine cool to room temp
do front cylinder
do rear cylinder
do both cylinders

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Takes me about 8 hrs if starting from scratch. Flash tune, not Power Commander tune.

With one of Jamies base cals? Probably cut that to 4 or so hours.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is now a guy with a new Dynojet, that is about 30 minutes from me. I am going to have him do a base run on my bike, check the numbers, and if any corrections are needed, I will have him fine tune what I have; for now the MF map that was sent to me, based on a 103" with TW222 cams is working well for my bike.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Damn Truk! Sounds like you make sure your work is done right. Too bad im wayyyy to far away. At least im starting with jamies base map.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 AM
wraco
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a high performance engine installed this spring and the dyno was around 10 hours to get it right. . My mechanic said right off the hop he could push it through on the cheap if I wanted to save money but charged me for 8 hours and spent all of 10 hours if not more. . It was a tad cranky getting it right with the true duals but it turned out real nice. .

Quick Reply: How long did your dyno tune take?