Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
O5HOG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2014 FLHTK Ultra Limited

I just pick up a new 2014 Limited and I'm going to install a garage door transmitter. Directions say 2014 touring models need wiring harness 69200722, but the Limited comes standard with heated grips, which is one of the items that say you need the harness for. So do I need one or does it all ready have it?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

check the DIY sticky up above 964 posts on methods to open the GD.

costs from $6 to $254

Mike

Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Mnbugeater
Novice
Default Garage door fob

I'm not trying to bust your ***** nor be a troll. I promise.

I've never understood the "installed" or mounted garage door opener desire. I went to Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, pick your favorite home improvement store, and bought the smallest garage door opener fob I could find. It's smaller than a Zippo lighter. It's designed to go on a keychain. I programmed it to my garage door. I have it on short detachable key ring lanyard so it hangs under my saddle bag lid. I can just open my bag as I pull up to the garage door or detach it and keep it in my pocket. Either way. $30 and I have a garage door opener on my bike or in my vest/coat/jeans pocket.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 PM
OldBill
Intermediate

I keep the garage door opener remote that came with my garage door opener in the inner pocket of my riding jacket. I can have the door open by the time I am in the driveway and shut the bike down. Total cost = zero

Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mnbugeater
I'm not trying to bust your ***** nor be a troll. I promise.

I've never understood the "installed" or mounted garage door opener desire. I went to Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, pick your favorite home improvement store, and bought the smallest garage door opener fob I could find. It's smaller than a Zippo lighter. It's designed to go on a keychain. I programmed it to my garage door. I have it on short detachable key ring lanyard so it hangs under my saddle bag lid. I can just open my bag as I pull up to the garage door or detach it and keep it in my pocket. Either way. $30 and I have a garage door opener on my bike or in my vest/coat/jeans pocket.
I've had it both ways. Installed is better. Any good car stereo shop should be able to hide one under the fairing with a switch somewhere convenient. I've done it in a couple of hours and the parts costs are nearly nothing.

As for the Harley version, I can understand that too if it's plug and play and you're not too handy. It's just so expensive.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Depending on how handy you are you could hide a 12v opener under your fairing and solder some power leads to the back of your 'cig lighter' socket. You could then purchase an $11 dollar HD odometer switch that you can place pretty much anywhere on your fairing where you feel comfortable drilling. Solder the odometer leads to your openers push button terminals.
I placed the odometer switch to the right of the ignition switch in the accessories panel. Works great for me. No batteries to deal with and a convenient placement to access. I heard some folks hook the power to their high beam switch and connect the power leads to the headlight assembly.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one for awhile on my 2010 and liked it, until it quit working. Only when I went to remove it did I discover that it 'quit' because I hadn't snapped the headlight plug on correctly (missed two prongs but at first the headlight and opener worked) so eventually due to vibration, the electrical contacts weren't making contact. But since I had already promised it to a buddy, I took it all off.

But, anyone here with a 2014 that can answer the question of whether a 2014 Limited needs the wiring harness 69200722 since it has heated grips?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

On my softail,I hung my spare opener under the seat,and wired a button into it,put the button on the tank panel. On the Ultra,I got lazy and just put the opener in the windshield pouch. Could make a hole in the pouch and wire up a button for that one too,but it's simple enough to open the pouch and reach in to finger the opener.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 AM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I had one for awhile on my 2010 and liked it, until it quit working. Only when I went to remove it did I discover that it 'quit' because I hadn't snapped the headlight plug on correctly (missed two prongs but at first the headlight and opener worked) so eventually due to vibration, the electrical contacts weren't making contact. But since I had already promised it to a buddy, I took it all off.

But, anyone here with a 2014 that can answer the question of whether a 2014 Limited needs the wiring harness 69200722 since it has heated grips?
I put it in my 2014 and did not use the extra cable. I got power from the cigarette lighter (used to be a power port).

And I like the range and ease of the Harley opener. Works better than the fob I had wired to my 08

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I have a wireless keypad attached outside my garage door, works fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK Ultra Limited