Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with a Dealer - Repair/New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Problem with a Dealer - Repair/New Purchase

Long Story SHORT!

06.05.14 Wrecked Bike
06.06.14 - laid up in hospital, friend trailer bike to dealer and signed accepting charges to have estimate done

06.20.14 - finally got estimate done and bike needs
- inner/out fairing
-front fender
-handlbars
-front forks
-both saddle bags
-crash bar
-front brake lines
-gas tank
-other small misc stuff
$7800 estimate.

06.25.14 - I go to dealer and tell them i want to do some other work to bike since it is going to be torn apart and would pay difference. I offer them a check for partial payment, and offer to sign a work order authorizing repairs - was told I "didnt have to becasue they dont know the exact total until all the parts arrive and shipping for parts is added in, etc, blah blah blah".... (basically he didnt want me to sign something and then end up costing more and me trying to hold him to the agreed upon price) was told it would take 60-90 days for repair.

07.05.14 - I need to ride! Go to dealer, try and negotiate a a trade in the wrecked bike or a new SG and after 5 hours, i walked and told them to call me if they can do better.

07.07.14- I call another harley dealer, fax them my repair estimate, and they tell me "no problem what your trying to accomplish" bring your bike here and we can make it happen.

I call original dealer and tell them i am coming to pick up bike and take somewhere else to trade in. the finance manager tells me I can not pick up my bike unless I pay them the $255 estimate fee, I agree - no problem. I told him I would be there tonight.

He then calls me back and tells me since my repair order had special order parts, I can not take my bike unless i pay a 20% restock fee for the special order parts from Harley.

I explain to him that I never signed a repair order because the parts guy never had a total for me and that i even offered to write a check to start the repairs and they declined. I told him that i never authorized the repairs, and i am not paying a 20% restock for parts that have not been authorized to order, nor have even arrived yet!

He tells me he is going to fax me a copy of the repair order that i signed.

I get to my office 20 mins ago an on my fax machine is a signed (by my friend) "3 hours labor" agreeing to pay for an estimate. He does not have a signature of me agreeing to pay for the special parts, because i never got a total, so i never signed!!

HE then calls me and tell me I can trade my bike into him for the negotiated price, and he will waive the 20% restock fee, or I can come pick up my bike once i pay the $1000 in restock fees, plus the $255 estimate.

Needless to say i'm a little pissed the F off. What am I thinking/doing wrong here? I feel like this dealer is trying to strong arm me into taking his deal.

I called Harley Corp and they pretty much told me "Sorry, each store is independent and you need to take up your problems with them, we will make a note that you called and pass it along to the store, Thanks"

So now, I sit here pissed. Someone tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel? or give me a suggestion! !!!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If you needed a new engine guard, make damn sure that the center mounting tab has not been bent or cracked. Bikes are usually totaled if that is discovered. I say this because it sounds like your dealership is opportunistic and might have " mistakenly" overlooked that somewhat hard to see damage knowing they can make a ton of money on this repair.

I bet they haven't even ordered the parts.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

harley corp is useless when it comes to the consumer vs. the dealership I know that first hand also.

The easy question is the price on the new bike from the other dealer 1k less? I would definitely try and contact a lawyer but that might wind up costing you more than the 1k also. I would talk to the "other" dealer and see what their suggestion would be and also try to have conversations with the manager/owner of the dealership suggesting legal action.

Good luck this stuff sucks.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts

After the original estimate, I called them and asked them to make sure there is no damage to the center mounting tab, because I would hate for the ins company to write a check and then me have to call them again.

He called me back 3 days later and said "the frame / mounting tab is fine"

Needless to say, i had to go to dealer and point out some other items that were damaged that his estimate crew missed.... so i don't know if i still trust the fact he told me the tab was not cracked/bent...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think you owe for the estimate...i would see about going to small claims court for the re-stocking fee on the parts that you did not authorize. that should fall into the small claims court and you can represent your self. should only cost a few bucks to file.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Totally understand, and I wouldn't trust them at all now. Sounds like a half-*** outfit to me. It's a bitch to get tangled-up with an outfit like this.

Agree that it may be best to try to talk to the owner. Tell him you want to do business, but the sales guys are making it difficult, so you were forced elsewhere. See what he says.

There is always time to take it to the next level. I wouldn't threaten. An ounce of sugar goes a lot further than a pound of **** in these situations.

I don't think they can hold your bike for ransom if they don't have the signed paperwork authorizing the parts. That's a quick question an attorney can help you with if it comes to that.

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't do business with them going forward, unless the owner accommodates your needs.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quite often for a nominal fee an attorney will send them a letter. That usually gets their attention esp. if they know they're in the wrong.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
TheFleeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69cj
Quite often for a nominal fee an attorney will send them a letter. That usually gets their attention esp. if they know they're in the wrong.
Exactly - a strongly worded lawyer for an attorney will be the best $300 spent in this situation. The dealer has no right to anything but what your friend signed for as you did not expressly authorize any work.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 937 Posts

I don't know about the laws out where you live..but here in PA is what I would do. Go to the dealer with a trailer for the bike..pay the $255 estimate bill. Then demand they release the bike to you. If they refuse i would then call the cops and when they show up report the bike stolen and have them arrest the dealership people. In Pa it is illegal to hold onto someone else vehicle to demand payment of a disputed bill

Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Krazecarll
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eagle240, I'm no attorney but my suggestion to you would be taking your registration on the bike with insurance documentation to the dealer. Call your local either the the police department or sheriffs office and tell them that they have your property and will not release it to you. Explain your situation to them, and demand that they show proof of a binding contract. Put them in the position that they will take you to court. The bike is titled in your name. Don't let them stronghold you.

Quick Reply: Problem with a Dealer - Repair/New Purchase