Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need major HELP PLEASE **NO START**

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
capt dcg
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need major HELP PLEASE **NO START**

Hello and thank you for reading this post.. I have read many others as a great guideline to install or repair my Harley. I have a 2005 Road King Custom FLHRSI. I have a power commander 3 on it and some other stuff that isn't part of my issue. I changed out my handlebars for heritage ones Sunday morning. While doing this I think I managed to pinch a wire from or to the kill and or starter switches. I unpinched them and found a blown fuse on the fuse panel replaced it. And NO START..I also have no fuel pump with ignition on. I have used my power probe and the pump is good and runs. I have put a spark board on the plug wires and no spark. I have also taken the power commander out of line with the ecm and plugged just the ecm into the original harness. No joy there. I have replaced the systems relay on the right side if the bike and checked with the Power probe all fuse with the ignition switch on. All fuses good. The kill switch is working as with it off No crank and on cranks fine. But no start...so in summary...I have ignition on, instruments on, starter cranks but no fire and no fuel pump coming on and stopping from relay. My fear is I have fried the ecm...

Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you checked the coil?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
capt dcg
Stage II

Yes I have checked the output the coils and have nothing.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,788 Posts

The system relay has a timer in it it fire the fuel pump. Once running and the ECM gets ten hits from the crank position sensor, then ECM takes over fuel pump and it runs all the time. Bank angle sensor in the signal light and or alarm signal light switch kills fuel pump if bike tilts over too far. Your start and system relays should be same part number. If so, switch and see if fuel pump will fire on key on for 2-3 seconds. The ECM is protected even from switching battery wires. Doubt you have hurt it. Leave the piggyback garbage out to you get pump working. You positive you got all the plugs back into their correct orientation if you pulled any while doing the switch? That is were most screw up. They look from one side and mark orientation. Then the look from other side inserting. Damn mirror image gets them all the time.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-09-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Koafarms
Cruiser

---edit, question was already answered if I would have finished reading lol---

Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's turning over but not starting, go back to the basics first. Air, fuel and spark. Make sure your battery is fully charged and it turns over strong. Actually pull a plug, ground it and turn it over. Watch for spark. Did you remove the tank? Make sure you're getting fuel. Good luck

Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you took the tank off, there are two plugs that need be reconnected under the console, one is for the fuel pump.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,788 Posts

You need compression for a fire. You need to leave both plugs in and use a dummy to check for fire.